Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Hydrometer, correct use

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
Jungle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hydrometer, correct use

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Can someone explain how to use these properly.

I want to know how to relate the figures to alcohol content.

Thanks

Jungle

5% off products at myprotein.com Code MP112483

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 988 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 2054

Hi Jungle. You take a hydrometer reading when you first put the wort in your carboy or fermenter. Use the scale that reads like a thermometer. Then when your beer is all done becoming beer, take another hydrometer reading. The difference tells you how much sugar was eaten up by the yeast, producing alcohol. Some folks here figure that by hand, I put it into brewing software (I use Beersmith).

Old 10-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

The formula for determining that, that pappers wusses out and uses beersmith for is, og-fg x 131 = %ABV. (That's probably the extent of my math ability to figure out.)

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

And this video is the best I've seen to explain how to use it, it's also by one of our own Bobby M.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts

The correct way to use a hydrometer:

1. Get the sample at the reference temperature (probably 60 F, should be printed on the hydrometer somewhere) and degassed.

2. Read at the meniscus.

This will give you the relative density of the wort at the beginning and end of fermentation which doesn't really tell you much about the alcohol content (for that you need starting and finishing extract) but you can make some assumptions and get pretty close using the formulae referenced above.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
Jungle
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies and posts guys. I'm doing n investigation at uni using different sugars, and the hydrometer is the only apparatus we have access to.

5% off products at myprotein.com Code MP112483

Old 10-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle View Post
Thanks for the replies and posts guys. I'm doing n investigation at uni using different sugars, and the hydrometer is the only apparatus we have access to.
It really is the only apparatus you need.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
1. Get the sample at the reference temperature (probably 60 F, should be printed on the hydrometer somewhere) and degassed.
If the temp is not exactly 60F you can adjust the reading to compensate. Even within 10 degrees of 60 and the reading will be fairly close. here is a link for adjusting the readings for temp. http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/rec...ydrometer.html

Old 10-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
If the temp is not exactly 60F you can adjust the reading to compensate. Even within 10 degrees of 60 and the reading will be fairly close. here is a link for adjusting the readings for temp. http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/rec...ydrometer.html
It's correct use to measure at the reference temperature, it may be acceptable to read at other temperatures and apply an adjustment.

If the goal is determining alcohol content based on relative density readings, you are already layering estimates on estimates, why make it worse?

Old 10-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #10
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
It's correct use to measure at the reference temperature, it may be acceptable to read at other temperatures and apply an adjustment.

If the goal is determining alcohol content based on relative density readings, you are already layering estimates on estimates, why make it worse?
I guess I'm just not that anal about what the alcohol is. I brewed for many years without using a hydrometer. I still made great beer. I do use one now but I'm not so hung up on being super accurate with it. If my readings are off by .001 then I'm OK with that.

Quick Reply