Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > How do different volumes of CO2 affect flavor?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #11
mthelm85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The findings in the first paper above are really interesting but the paper isn't free so that sucks. You'll note that the abstract says that carbonation SIGNIFICANTLY suppressed not only flavor but AROMA (of cooked milk) which I find really interesting and it makes me wonder if the same thing happens in beer. They also state that the CO2 significantly enhances sourness and astringency at 1.42 volumes so imagine the difference between a beer carbed at 1.0 volume and a beer carbed at 2.5 or 3.0 volumes....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #12
bobbytuck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthelm85 View Post
They also state that the CO2 significantly enhances sourness and astringency at 1.42 volumes so imagine the difference between a beer carbed at 1.0 volume and a beer carbed at 2.5 or 3.0 volumes....
I don't want to belabor the point -- there's already two other threads about carbonation going on this week alongside this one -- but it's another process point to consider when you're controlling pH -- or attempting to control pH. The idea (in my case, at least) that if your mash pH is below normal (i.e., 5.2-5.3 @ room temp) that carbonation will most likely impact the finished product taste-wise. Until now, I hadn't seen these two variables together in a forum discussion. (Which maybe means that I'm late to the party, but I'm glad it's finally becoming clearer in my mind now that I've encountered several simultaneous discussions here in recent days.)

Again -- in my case -- had I thought this through a little bit better (and avoided the too-low mash pH at room temp in the first place) I might have decreased my carbonation at bottling time to avoid a too-distinct sour taste due to the carbonic acid. Not sure if this would have made a big difference, but I'd rather have a slightly undercarbonated brew with full(ish) flavors as opposed to a normally carb'd beer with slightly -- very slight -- sour flavors.

As it stands, I've got about 4 or 5 brews that are drinkable but not where I want the flavor to be due to the combination of carbonation an mash pH. They're borderline -- not by any means bad, but not as good as I'd hoped -- but they don't have the full malt profiles that I expected. More brews are in the fermenter (with increased pH @ mash time) -- and I'm brewing again in a few days -- so I'll report back.

Great threads!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply