Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > How can I get the chalk to dissolve?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #41
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddybrew View Post
Motobrewer, Ever think that this thread is my so many brewers only lurk and never post?.
why would this thread make people "never post"?

i really don't understand it.
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #42
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 536 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
but aj is. [a chemist]
Actually I'm not and don't want to appear to be posing as one. It's probably apparent that I have a technical background but it is in electrical engineering. Brewing has forced me to pick up some chemistry along the way, however. Note that most of what we seem concerned with in consideration of brewing water, i.e. all the pH, concentration, activity, species distribution..., belongs to physical chemistry.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #43
bigdaddybrew
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Why would someone new read this thread and be hesitate to post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
nothing like squandering a great opportunity to learn...ignore the science because it worked for you in the past...have you ever thought you were making good beer in spite of your water process...
Have you ever thought that comments like these might come across as condesending?

So I wasted an opportunity to learn. I am ignorant to the science of brewing and if my beer happens to turns out good, it is at best a fools mistake.

As to some of the other posts in this thread...some brewers are so smart that they don't know a gracious way to let a less experienced brewer have an opinion. They use a hammer and nail when a thumb tack would do. I can take it because I know in the process I will learn. Other just won't risk the criticism.

Primary: Citra Cerveza
Kegged: Conceited Brown Cur
Bottled: Concord-Cherry Wine, Dark Winter Spiced Ale, Whitetail Amber Ale, Summer Gold Pale Ale, Irish Sunset
Future: Citra Cerveza, Octoberfest

I made a lot of beer and I can't drink it all by myself...okay I can but I like to share too.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #44
bigdaddybrew
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
Actually I'm not and don't want to appear to be posing as one. It's probably apparent that I have a technical background but it is in electrical engineering. Brewing has forced me to pick up some chemistry along the way, however. Note that most of what we seem concerned with in consideration of brewing water, i.e. all the pH, concentration, activity, species distribution..., belongs to physical chemistry.
By the way Ajdelange I appreciate your efforts. My comment above was not ment as a direct criticism of you. I have experienced this in plenty of other threads. A softer touch wouldn't hurt but I would be missing out if you and other more experienced brewers chose to ignore my threads. I can take the debate. Please bring it. But know we all can't be on the same level. Thanks again.

Bottled: Concord-Cherry Wine, Dark Winter Spiced Ale, Whitetail Amber Ale, Summer Gold Pale Ale, Irish Sunset

I made a lot of beer and I can't drink it all by myself...okay I can but I like to share too.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #45
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 366

when you finish your discussion with this:

Quote:
I do it all the time with delicious results. Good luck.
Bigdaddybrew
when others have spent a great deal of time trying explain the detailed science as to why doing "it" might not be best possible solution to the problem probably scares more people away than my apparent condescension.
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 11-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #46
bigdaddybrew
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I stand by my statements. I've had good results with this process. That's not itimidating to a new member. Your apparent condescension might be. This thread is no longer productive. Thanks for your time.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #47
klnosaj
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Klnosaj, My apologies. Your post got hijacked. How do you dissolve chalk? A small amount of chalk can be dissolved with seltzer water. I do it all the time with delicious results. Good luck.
Bigdaddybrew
Thanks. This was all I wanted to know.

Like you, since I started building my water from scratch my beer has become exponentially better.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #48
trymybeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey has anyone clicked that link on the first page? It says its some hackers site or something

Old 01-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #49
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trymybeer View Post
Hey has anyone clicked that link on the first page? It says its some hackers site or something
That got fixed. My site got hacked last week and I restored it and made it more secure over the weekend.

In case that happens again, let me know.

Kai

Old 01-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #50
trymybeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Kewl beans, good to hear

Quick Reply