Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > How to adjust this water for brewing a light lager or Kolsch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 12:28 AM   #21
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlenard View Post
Are you in Texas? I was just talking with two other Texans in the past week who both said, "Everyone I know who brews in TX has an RO system in their house!". At this point I have resolved to finding cheap distilled water and just grabbing as many as I can when I find it cheap. At least that way I know that all of the numbers are ZERO. I was getting bulk RO water from my grocery store and had a suspicion about it so I sent some to Ward Labs. Turns out the TDS number was 68 and the HCO3 number was 50! This is not good RO water so distilled for me from now on.

Also, Amazon says the book is coming out April 16. Should be good.
I am in Texas currently, but I don't brew here besides at my neighbor's.

I bought my RO system for my house in Upper Michigan. Our water tastes great, but it's high in bicarbonate, and I have to dilute with RO (or use all RO water), depending on what I'm making.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #22
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlenard View Post
But I can't see a blanket term "great water" covering the whole range of styles. Sorry for the rant, waterheads!
Exactly, there is no such thing as a great water for all styles. A brewer's water might be well suited for a range of styles. But to make the full range of styles, a brewer has to understand the why, what, and how of brewing water chemistry.

AJ and I just got several nearly final chapters for the Water book earlier this week. Time for review. Looks like my free-time is gone (as if I had any).

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply