New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Hop Pellet Particle Size

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Hop Pellet Particle Size

Does anyone know the average particle size for pelletized hops? Better yet, a distribution curve for particle size? The only literature I can find regarding the pelletization process just generally describes hops being tossed into a hammer mill, reduced down to dust, then extruded into pellets. I can't find anything that defines what size the dust would be.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I don't think you'll find a size distribution chart, as I'd venture to say that the hammering generates sizes all over the chart.

Have you looked at this here: http://www.hopunion.com/1017_HopPellets.cfm?p4=open

MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
I don't think you'll find a size distribution chart, as I'd venture to say that the hammering generates sizes all over the chart.

Have you looked at this here: http://www.hopunion.com/1017_HopPellets.cfm?p4=open

MC
Well, that is somewhat more detailed than other resources I've seen, but still doesn't really answer my question. Thanks for the link though, it's a good read.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
HeadyKilowatt
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Are you trying to apply Stokes' Law to dry hops settling out in a fermenter or something?

'Cause that would be awesome.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

there was some info in P. Wolfe's Dry hop paper: http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/34093/Wolfe_thesis.pdf?sequence=1

uberg33k Likes This 
Old 12-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
bdh
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts

I know the Weibull distribution is popular for modeling particle size, but Weibull distributions are pretty flexible depending on the parameters used, so without some actual data points to fit it probably won't tell you much.

edit: I'm curious what you want to know the distribution for.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 217

this might be of some use to you: this thread discusses the use of fine-mesh hop filters. a 300 micron filter seems to retain all the hop gunk (i can say this based on my own experience with one), while the 400 micron seems to be letting some stuff through although that hasn't been proven yet. tests will be carried out soon to compare the hop filtration properties of both sizes.

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
this might be of some use to you: this thread discusses the use of fine-mesh hop filters. a 300 micron filter seems to retain all the hop gunk (i can say this based on my own experience with one), while the 400 micron seems to be letting some stuff through although that hasn't been proven yet. tests will be carried out soon to compare the hop filtration properties of both sizes.
Lol, this is exactly why I wanted to know. That thread is a mess. So much confusion and contrary information there. I figured if you knew the particle size you're trying to filter and the viscosity of the media (wort), you could calculate the porousness of the filtering media and the media area needed for effective separation. That would more accurately account for what size filter mesh you should build with and how big a filter you need for a given amount of hops rather than some haphazard "we tried this and it worked/didn't" methodology.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberg33k View Post
That would more accurately account for what size filter mesh you should build with and how big a filter you need for a given amount of hops rather than some haphazard "we tried this and it worked/didn't" methodology.
i have no problem with the "this did/didn't work" approach in this situation. the overhead associated with fine-tuning filter size isn't worth it to me. it's not like you're gaining a new level of control over the finished product. "for this blind taste test, identify which beer was made with a 300 micron filter and which one is made with the 400"...

300 micron retains all, or practically all, of my hop gunk. great. off to brew

(and the viscosity of wort is variable depending on thickness/gravity of the beer being made, and it will further change during the boil so not sure what value you would use in your calculations)

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
(and the viscosity of wort is variable depending on thickness/gravity of the beer being made, and it will further change during the boil so not sure what value you would use in your calculations)
I realize this. However, since calculating the viscosity of wort is fairly trivial, you could make up a table that would tell you "effectively filters ___ oz of hops at ____ OG before clogging" for given filter size using a modified Darcy's equation. Then you just pick the filter that best meets your typical brew style and off you go ordering whatever model you need from Chad. It might even warrant buying several filters for various styles / hop bills or tell you "given your hop bill and kettle size, you aren't going to buy a filter big enough to work, so don't bother".

Quick Reply