Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > High Sodium, Moderate Alkalinity. How to adjust?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 664 Times on 550 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercougarfalconbird View Post
I need to send a lab sample off for my pilot water before I can provide a real target.
If you made your pilot water by adding salts to RO water we can, assuming the RO system was in good operating order, determine the ion profile of the resulting water.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
Thundercougarfalconbird
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'm told that is the profile from the tap and not softened (and that the report is dated) alkalinity is more like 280ppm.
This is getting into the 'make me nervous' range for bicarbonate. I think a gypsum addition to up the Ca and SO4 sounds good.
But am concerned, in How to Brew, Palmer says 'The combination of sodium with a high concentration of sulfate ions will generate a very harsh bitterness. Therefore keep at least one or the other as low as possible, preferably the sodium."

Beersmith's London profile is:
London, England

Calcium(Ca): 52.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 16.0 ppm
Sodium(Na): 99.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 77.0 ppm
Bicarbonate(HCO3): 156.0 ppm
PH: 8.0 PH

I was thinking I'd come as close to this as possible as the brew has a high % of English malt.

I've been following ajdelanges primer with great success. I am going to testmash (I aways forget it's this simple!) and adjust pH using lactic acid.

The best beer I ever made was the next one I brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply