Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > High Nitrate NO3-N level concern

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Most rock formations are fractured and fissured. Limestone can also be solutioned which produces conduits.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 664 Times on 550 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Yes but that's a lot of limestone and doesn't explain why everyone on that aquifer has about the same level of nitrate (which is about the same as but higher than the Potomac's). One USGS study I quickly found shows that the deeper the well the less nitrate makes it through - unsurprisingly enough. I'd buy the argument that some nitrate would make it through 300' of stone but I'm betting that in this case it is nitrate bearing rock that is mostly responsible. Surface water - yes, fertilizer doubtless has something to do with that but with deep wells it has to be less so. It is interesting here that I measure the nitrate in the river at less than that in the wells. These are spot measurements of course and should not be regarded as anything more than that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply