Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Help with Water Report

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
ChuckCollins
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Default Help with Water Report

Ok
I did the Wards water report now I need help ,trying to see what I need to do as far as adjusting my water for All-grain brewing.

ph 7.9
TDS 846
ELEC COND 1.41
CATIONS/ANIONS 17.5 / 20.1
SODIUM 19
POTASSIUM,K 3
CALCIUM ,CA 221
MAG 67
TOTAL HARDNESS 832
NITRATE < 0.1 SAFE
SULFATE 273
CHLORIDE 6
CARBONATE <1.0
BICARONATE 175
TOT ALKALINTY 145
TOT PHOS 0.01

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Are there boulders floating in that water? That is hard stuff. The Mg level is pretty high and likely to affect beer flavor. The sulfate level is also quite high. That water might make a decent pale ale, but its probably too mineralized for other styles. Dilution is your best bet.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 07-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
ChuckCollins
Recipes 

Yes I know it's hard I have used 100% R.O. water in the past ,But I want to use my water and adjust it for brewing . I have Brew Smith and going/try to build my water profile and go from there just trying to understand if my water is ok to brew with.or stick to 100% R.O/water and adjust it ,but I do 10 Gal batch whick cost me $ 4.00 a batch,plus the time ,gas to go to store to trying to save some cash..

Old 07-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
J187
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard View Post
Are there boulders floating in that water? That is hard stuff. The Mg level is pretty high and likely to affect beer flavor. The sulfate level is also quite high. That water might make a decent pale ale, but its probably too mineralized for other styles. Dilution is your best bet.
LOL... I was going to say, next time draw the sample BEFORE you add the quickrete... good LAWD!

Old 07-09-2014, 06:48 PM   #5
J187
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 12

OP my best advice and I'm no pro here, is to not only stick to DI and RO and building up... but to also get yourself a water softener - how do you bath and wash clothes in that water? I can't imagine that your clothes don't come out dingy and stained and your skin must have scale after a shower... .washing dishes, etc.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 10

If Jesus walked on that water it wouldn't be considered a miracle.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:11 AM   #7
ChuckCollins
Recipes 

And here I thought HBT was a forum for help But I cause making jokes is more important to some of the members then helping you brew better Beer kinda sad IMO ...

Old 07-10-2014, 04:38 AM   #8
sfgoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Relax man. Part of socializing is being able to role with the punches. They are correct in that you should probably stick to RO water and build up. Very hard to tear it down to what you need. I would still use your water with pale ales probably as is but I would probably still run it through a carbon filter first.

So if you are looking for consistency and quality in you brews I would build up some RO every time.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:49 AM   #9
ChuckCollins
Recipes 

I am relaxed .and can roll with the jokes if followed by advice just trying to wrap my head around the water for brewing
better Beer This Ward water report was not cheap I thought Belgian water was hard and thinking that I can use
my water for Farmhouse Ales. and being able to use R.O .water and my house water as well for other Beers.

thanks sfgoat

Old 07-10-2014, 06:10 AM   #10
clickondan
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If I had your water and wanted to try using it, I would probably try some kind of British pale ale, a dortmunder export or maybe a heavily hopped American IPA. Wouldn't hurt to try, and you'd learn a lot. The only thing that would give me pause is the magnesium number, it is way too high even for the styles I just mentioned. But that said, I'm not sure what that would even do to the beer, and I'd probably try it just to find out.

When all is said and done, if I had that tap water profile, and assuming it tastes good from the tap, I would probably use it sometimes but only cut 50/50 with distilled water from the store. The additives I would likely end up using the most in that situation, with the final base profile of the 50/50 mix, depending upon style, would probably be sodium chloride (canning salt) and phosphoric acid.

Quick Reply