Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Help with water report

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think it's better to report the ion balance as the difference between cations and anions. I used to think that a ratio is better, but that only causes issues with low TDS water where measurement errors are getting close to the measured ion levels.

Kai

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Kai, you are right. Getting rid of the ratio and replacing it with a difference would be better. Had not thought about that.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 01-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #13
sengsational
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard View Post
... it only took tiny adjustments of any of those ions to get it perfect. But as Chumpsteak mentioned, 'does it really matter?' No it doesn't, its close enough.
That's word. Thanks for the confirmation. It is covered by the cell comment, but it wasn't sinking in. I was leaning in the direction of "these values are tiny, maybe I shouldn't worry about it", but in trying to google to be sure, I came across this thread and figured I'd post. Now this community has a record of what Primo bottled water tested out to be at Ward Laboratories, should brewers want to start with Primo, or use it for dilution.

--Dale--

Old 01-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #14
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Is Primo cheaper than RO? Because if not I would just go with RO if you can get it.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #15
sengsational
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpsteak View Post
Is Primo cheaper than RO? Because if not I would just go with RO if you can get it.
For me, RO is only $0.30 per gallon (Glacier machine), so way cheaper ($1.50 vs $6.50). But there are a lot of brewers around here that don't have a Glacier machine near them and it seems like Primo is everywhere in Charlotte.

--Dale--

Quick Reply