Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Help with Water Profile (this is bad)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #11
PintoBean
Hailstorm Brewing Co
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hops2it View Post
By far, my favored method for iron removal is using industrial strength sodium hypochorite (bleach). When searching literature, you'll see various predicted reaction times but trust me, it works almost instantly with adequate mixing. That will precipitate the iron but filtration would still be needed at that point, along with chlorine removal ideally.
How much Sodium Hypochlorite would you need in 5 gallons of water to precipitate the iron?

Hailstorm Brewing Co
www.facebook.com/hailstormbrewingco

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
hops2it
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by PintoBean View Post
How much Sodium Hypochlorite would you need in 5 gallons of water to precipitate the iron?
Figure about a part of hypo to a part of iron as a jumping off point.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
hops2it
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Check out this calculator for some assistance:

http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/chlorined3.cgi

I input 0 mg/l initial chlorine and 1mg/L desired residual...which is false because you theoretically would end up at zero residual as the available chlorine will be used in the reaction to precipitate the iron. But if we do in fact use the 1:1 ratio of hypo to iron, then we can use your current iron concentration in the "desired" box. Although you stated an iron value of 0.81, I used 1.0 instead to account for some slight upward variance in your iron level. This should then leave little chlorine residual leftover. In fact, most DPD chlorine test kits would struggle to accurately measure down to that last 0.2 mg/l of residual on a repeated and accurate basis. ORP might be a better bet. But what you'd ideally need to do is measure the iron after the dosing which requires a spectrophotometer and the associated reagents. If you can get an inside track with your local area water plant, they might do that test for you.

So anyway, I set the output for mL and that value ends up being 0.13144 mL. How much is that? Essentially 2 drops from your run of the mill eyedropper.

Dang, that link isn't going to work so instead go here:

http://www.handymath.com/calculators.html

And then scroll all the way down to the bottom and click on the link titled "calculator for water disinfection using 12.5% sodium hypochlorite solution". Then you'll see what I mean about the input variables I mentioned above.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #14
BlackFurnaceBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Whatever route you decide to go, Pinto, let us know how it turns out.

Primary: Bear's Mountain IPA
Secondary: Chocolate Raspberry Port
Bottled: General Stark ESB, Christine's 1/4 Mile Wheat, 82nd Airborne Amber, Sweet Home Bourbon Ale
On Deck: Double Clutch IPA, Breckenridge Ale, Black Nitrous Whiskey Stout

Old 05-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
cageybee
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 140

I used a tank, a fleck back-wash head and pyrolox/filox media to remove iron. worked great, took it all with me when I moved.....don't need it where I am....arg.

"The surgeon general has determined the previous information may be tainted with arrogant proselytizations...consume at your own risk"

Old 05-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #16
PintoBean
Hailstorm Brewing Co

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFurnaceBrewing View Post
Whatever route you decide to go, Pinto, let us know how it turns out.
Will do.

Hailstorm Brewing Co

Old 05-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #17
PintoBean
Hailstorm Brewing Co

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hops2it View Post
Check out this calculator for some assistance:

http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/chlorined3.cgi

I input 0 mg/l initial chlorine and 1mg/L desired residual...which is false because you theoretically would end up at zero residual as the available chlorine will be used in the reaction to precipitate the iron. But if we do in fact use the 1:1 ratio of hypo to iron, then we can use your current iron concentration in the "desired" box. Although you stated an iron value of 0.81, I used 1.0 instead to account for some slight upward variance in your iron level. This should then leave little chlorine residual leftover. In fact, most DPD chlorine test kits would struggle to accurately measure down to that last 0.2 mg/l of residual on a repeated and accurate basis. ORP might be a better bet. But what you'd ideally need to do is measure the iron after the dosing which requires a spectrophotometer and the associated reagents. If you can get an inside track with your local area water plant, they might do that test for you.

So anyway, I set the output for mL and that value ends up being 0.13144 mL. How much is that? Essentially 2 drops from your run of the mill eyedropper.

Dang, that link isn't going to work so instead go here:

http://www.handymath.com/calculators.html

And then scroll all the way down to the bottom and click on the link titled "calculator for water disinfection using 12.5% sodium hypochlorite solution". Then you'll see what I mean about the input variables I mentioned above.
Sweet, thanks!

Hailstorm Brewing Co

Quick Reply