Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Help selecting a hemocytometer and microscope

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #21
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Just a couple updates if anyone is interested.

AJ, yes I probably did act hastily discarding the slurry that I thought was infected. I should have tried acid washing the yeast, or killing everything with alcohol to see if the amount of movement changed, or plated it on yeast inhibiting medium. … or a number of other test.

$200 vs $20 hemocytometers:
Having the opportunity to use both I can say there is a very distinct difference between the two. The Brite-Line is much nicer a cost of ten times the price. The lines are much more clear and well... brighter as the name sugests. The edges of the lines are also less jagged. The tan background makes both the cells and lines easier to distinguish. However the $20 hemocytometer does the job just fine. The resulting counts of cells are the same although it may take small amount more time to count because it is simply not as crisp of a grid.

I can't say that there is any benefit to spending 10x the money on the more expensive one.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply