The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Help With Phenols (I Think)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
spamman1368
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

You just grab a bottle of iodine from the local homebrew store, mix in a teaspoon per 1.5 gallons of warm water, rinse your equipment in it and let it air dry. It's about the same price as starsan and works the same way. And hey, if it isn't the source of the bad flavor, it sure wont hurt anything! It's worth a shot IMO

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #12
Hogarthe
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

the iodine sanitizer is sold as Iodophor. the company that makes Star San makes one called I/O Star, which is what I use. Iodophor is no rinse, and no foaming.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:41 PM   #13
JayDubWill
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

no rinse and no foaming, might need to give that a try...but back on topic besides the dish soap what else does your beer and apple wine brewing have in common? For example someone mentioned a brew bag did you use that on both? Scientifically you would only want to change one variable at a time to eliminate the culprit but realistically it's a bit much to brew 15 batches of brew you don't like, so I would change everything you had in common (beer and apple wine) and re-introduce them one by one if, for example, you really liked using starsan over iodophor. Again my money is on the dish soap. I would rinse everything that touches your wort in hot water, maybe use a little oxy clean free and rinse well before using the equipment the next time. It could also be something like oxidization, and filling your carboy only half way..moving it from one spot to another and shaking it up on accident...could affect both your beer and apple wine. Just a thought.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDubWill View Post
no rinse and no foaming, might need to give that a try...but back on topic besides the dish soap what else does your beer and apple wine brewing have in common? For example someone mentioned a brew bag did you use that on both? Scientifically you would only want to change one variable at a time to eliminate the culprit but realistically it's a bit much to brew 15 batches of brew you don't like, so I would change everything you had in common (beer and apple wine) and re-introduce them one by one if, for example, you really liked using starsan over iodophor. Again my money is on the dish soap. I would rinse everything that touches your wort in hot water, maybe use a little oxy clean free and rinse well before using the equipment the next time. It could also be something like oxidization, and filling your carboy only half way..moving it from one spot to another and shaking it up on accident...could affect both your beer and apple wine. Just a thought.
My bottling process and the bottles and priming sugar.

Could it be the 2-3 hour soak in B-Brite, and the subsequent rinsing? Am I not getting it all rinsed out? Is my rinsing with tap water leaving chlorine stuck in my bottles?

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA

Old 04-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
JayDubWill
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

do you know if your city water uses chloramines instead of chlorine? Eaiter way I wouldn't think your rinse water would affect taste, but I could be wrong.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #16
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDubWill View Post
do you know if your city water uses chloramines instead of chlorine? Eaiter way I wouldn't think your rinse water would affect taste, but I could be wrong.
I'm not really sure, I've never had a water report done, but as you said, I wouldn't think my rinse would actually lend that much of an off-flavor. I could be wrong though?

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA

Old 07-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #17
adixon3
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Try iodaphor(iodine) instead of starsan

Old 07-29-2013, 12:43 AM   #18
JayDubWill
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

JeffoC6, it's been a couple months, any updates? Problem solved?

Old 07-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #19
biertourist
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Wow... This IS a difficult one...

If you tried using distilled water then you're definitely not getting chlorophenols via chlorinates in your water. (A camden tablet would be a cheaper alternative for knocking them out.)

I was initially looking to blame your sanitizer / sanitization process (expecting that you were mixing up a water+bleach solution or something) but B-Brite at the recommended concentration for the recommended time shouldn't be an issue.

Fermentation temps I also wouldn't blame if you're using English or American ale yeasts as they don't have the gene required to produce phenols...

The next place I'd look is your tubing; ESPECIALLY any tubing that comes in contact with hot wort.
The second alternative is that what you're tasting isn't actually phenols at all and we've been troubleshooting down the wrong "branch".

-Can you explain the flavor that you're encountering in any more detail? Does it get worse, get better, or stay the same over time as the beer ages in the bottle?

Adam

Old 07-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #20
biertourist
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Hmm... I see you said it's a "plasticy" flavor, that's not a bad descriptor at all.

The background information on the thick mash is also good to know as it helps to direct us away from tannin/polyphenol extraction from grain (as does the information about the apfel wine)...

Just for giggles: (I don't think this is it): What does your sparge temp and procedure look like?

What does your chilling procedure and equipment look like?

Is there any where that the hot wort comes in contact with plastic or plastic/vinyl tubing for an extended period of time? -What type of plastic?

Adam

Quick Reply