Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Help with brewing water in SW Florida

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #11
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 567 Times on 467 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kifkroker View Post
My RO system is an 8 year old, 3-stage Watershield RO System. It has a pre carbon filter, post carbon filter, RO membrane, 100 psi permeate pump and 3 gal holding tank with bladder.
Are you sure the pump isn't before the membrane i.e. on the feed side? There wouldn't be much point in having it on the permeate side.

Quote:
Should I purchase a new RO system or just replace the membrane on my current 8 year old system? I change the filters on schedule but haven't changed the membrane for about 3 years so I know the high TDS is my fault.
I don't see any reason to not stay with what you have unless you find it hard to obtain a cartridge for the old system.

Quote:
Also, any benefit from adding a whole house filter to filter the water before it comes into the house? Will that ease the burden on the RO system?
If the water is stinky (and you say it is) then a whole house filter will help get rid of that making the job of the pre-filter on the RO unit a bit easier and those cartridges will last longer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #12
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

membrane, unless the new one gives you under a year before starting to clog. Then I would way the cost of just buying membranes vs. adding more filters or perhaps changing the size of the pre-filter. Most of the new systems I looked at had either a 1 micron or a .5 micron filter or a series of 5 micron and then a 1 micron before the membrane.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #13
kifkroker
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ok... It has been a couple weeks since I replaced both pre & post filters (5 micron KX Matrikx CTO/2) and also the membrane (GE Osmonics Desal TFM-36 GPD). Over the last week, I have checked the TDS periodically and it has ranged from 96 to 134. At this point, should I continue troubleshooting my RO & water softener system or just accept that my water is too hard for RO to filter to a tolerable range to brew with?

Again... any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #14
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 567 Times on 467 Posts
Likes Given: 16

With a feed TDS of about 1000 a permeate TDS of about 100 suggests only 90% average rejection. I'd expect better of a new membrane so I suspect there may be leakage around it. Check the O-rings in the system following the manufacturer's instructions.

If, OTOH, the surge in output TDS is related to a surge in feed TDS then, yes, you will have to accept the fact that you have real problem water. A solution, used in places in the world where they brew with sea or brackish water, is to use two RO systems in tandem. If each is only capable of average rejection of 95% (50 ppm out for 1000 ppm in) the pair will give better than 99% rejection (2.5 ppm out of the second system if the first has 1000 coming in). You will need to figure out some way to interconnect the two such that the pressure into the second is high enough to operate it.

Quick Reply