Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Hach pH Meter Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
Bassman2003
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hach pH Meter Questions

Hello,

I am looking for a decent pH meter and came across the Hach name in some posts here. Seems like a good unit but which should I get?

Pocket Pro with a replaceable sensor or non-replaceable sensor? The price I saw was ~$95 or ~$65 Model numbers 9532000 or 9531000

Or is there a better choice for the $100 almost cheapo crowd!

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 03:37 AM   #2
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 411

The most important difference is the accuracy.

http://www.hach.com/asset-get.downlo...id=18972203451

The 9531000's accuracy is .1 PH vs the 9532000's .02 PH accuracy (also the resolution is .1 vs .01).

I have the 9532000 (bought based on AJ's comments about it) and I like it a lot so far. I just calibrated mine today after doing it a couple of days ago and it was still within .03 of the calibration solutions. It's too new to know if that's normal but I was impressed with that.

Are you sure about the $95 price for the 9532000? The only price I could find was on the Hach site for $110 plus shipping. I was also later charged tax for a grand total of $137. http://www.hach.com/pocket-pro-ph-te...11&callback=bc

There are only a few of us that have one so it''s hard to know how it will perform over time, but so far so good.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
Bassman2003
Recipes 

Hey thanks for the tip. I did not catch the accuracy differences. Looks like the 9532000 is the way to go.

The prices were shown on my screen a few weeks ago but since they have a lot of models maybe I was looking at different meters? I am travelling now and the prices are listed as "Contact Hach"...

Old 01-13-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
pogden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsguitar View Post
The most important difference is the accuracy.

http://www.hach.com/asset-get.downlo...id=18972203451

The 9531000's accuracy is .1 PH vs the 9532000's .02 PH accuracy (also the resolution is .1 vs .01).

I have the 9532000 (bought based on AJ's comments about it) and I like it a lot so far. I just calibrated mine today after doing it a couple of days ago and it was still within .03 of the calibration solutions. It's too new to know if that's normal but I was impressed with that.

Are you sure about the $95 price for the 9532000? The only price I could find was on the Hach site for $110 plus shipping. I was also later charged tax for a grand total of $137. http://www.hach.com/pocket-pro-ph-te...11&callback=bc

There are only a few of us that have one so it''s hard to know how it will perform over time, but so far so good.
Hi Jsguitar,

I'm about to pull the trigger on this one. I'll need some pH 4.01 and pH 7.00 buffer solution - do you recommend that I buy it from Hach? Whether or not to buy the "singlets" or the 500ml bottles is, I guess, a question of whether it ever expires - do you know?

Also, in the thread in which ajdelange "found" in started evaluating the Hach he mentioned that it does not require storage solution, so I guess I don't need any of that. Is there anything else I need to acquire at this time?

Peter

Old 01-14-2014, 12:41 AM   #5
monkeyman1000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I've called the company twice and asked about the storage issue. The first time they told me to use the storage solution. The second time they said that they have been "arguing about it" around the office. The consensus was that you could store it with the storage solution or just a bit of tap water in the cap, just not DI water. I also asked about the premixed storage solutions versus the pillows that you mix yourself. They told me that the pillows were a good idea if you only use the meter/buffers every so often (I only brew about every 3 weeks if lucky). They said the premixed solutions are only good for a few months once you open them so unless you are using it a lot, no use buying a big batch of premixed stuff. The pillows are good for something like 4 years and you are only making about 50ml at a time. Way more cost effective I think. Ajdelange talks about some of this in his primer too. Good luck with the meter selection. I am happy so far with the Hach pro+ but I have noticed the temp reading is off about 4 degrees compared with my thermapen. That was the reason I called them today.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:57 AM   #6
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks for the good info monkeyman, I've been wondering about the storage solution too. I also saw your post on the temperature. I'll have to check mine against my thermapen in a bit just to compare. I haven't bothered to do that yet.

pogden, as monkeyman hinted, you also need some DI water and ideally a washer bottle to rinse the probe and cap with. Also, AJ's sticky in this forum on calibrating PH meters is a good thing to read through.

I used mine Saturday during a brew session and then checked it back against the PH 4 buffer after and it was still within .01 of calibration. I'm going to check out the temperature accuracy though after reading monkeyman's comments.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:06 AM   #7
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ok, just ran and checked the temperature against my recently calibrated thermapen and the meter read 61.9 and the thermapen was 62. I may just be lucky, but I'm not going to complain.

Edit: I was measuring my calibration solution.

Oh yeah, what did Hach say about the temperature discrepancy?

Old 01-14-2014, 01:44 AM   #8
monkeyman1000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I was told by the guy today that it shouldn't be to much of an issue. He said the difference between what the pH would be if the temp was off by 4 degrees would be really small and that I could adjust the reading by looking at a chart to see what the difference would be. Not sure if I should be pissed about that or not now that I think about it. I will look at it again tonight to make sure I wasn't doing something stupid which is a definite possibility. I'm new to pH meters too so I'm just kind of bumbling along.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:49 AM   #9
monkeyman1000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

So I just rechecked it against my Thermapen. It read 65.9 and the Thermapen read 65 so not sure what happened yesterday. I wasn't even drinking.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:59 AM   #10
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, that's great!

Quick Reply