Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Gypsum for Gardening v. Food-Grade Gypsum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
reverendnathan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Gypsum for Gardening v. Food-Grade Gypsum

This has been asked time and time again, but I wonder if Gypsum from the garden section of your hardware store is really all that different. The guaranteed analysis of Gypsum on the 30# bag says 92% gypsum, 8% Calcium, Sodium, and inert materials. To a novice, this seems pretty... gypsummy. Does food-grade Gypsum found in Asian markets promise an even better guaranteed analysis, or should hop heads everywhere head to their favorite tool shop and nab a 30# sack of lawn gypsum? Is local homebrew store gypsum the biggest conspiracy to brewing since Belgians saying light candi syrup is really all that different than table sugar? Is putting stuff bound for the lawn in my beer going to kill me?!

Thoughts? Because 20$ for a lifetime supply of Gypsum seems like quite a bargain.

You can trust me to make the beer. You cannot trust me with what I'll do to it once it's done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 568 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Have your LHBS get it in for you by the pound or buy a sack of food grade terra alba with a bunch of friends or approach a local brewery/brew pub and ask them if they will sell you a couple of pounds. Why deal with the uncertainties of 'inert materials'?

Old 01-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
bdh
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts

Sulfur-dioxide scrubbers in coal-fired power plants produce very large amounts of gypsum (http://www.fgdproducts.org/FGDGypsumIntro.htm). I'd bet there's a pretty good chance that's what's going into those bags of lawn gypsum and you'd be taking a pretty big gamble about what else could be in there.

Quick Reply