Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Gypsum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
kevreh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard View Post
Do you have any idea what concentration of calcium and sulfate you are adding to that water? All things in moderation...if you added a significant concentration of those ions to the water then a minerally taste is probable. As pointed out above, gypsum hardens water. What resource told you it softened water?
Guess I read that somewhere or remember it wrong. Thanks for the clarification.

For my 5 gal batch I added about 1/3 teaspoon; very moderate. I'm glad to have Gypsum in my set of "tools" to get those pale ales that have a little more pop to the hop profile and slight hardness to the water profile.

Conversely, it would seem appropriate to use calcium chloride (or other) to soften the water for something like a German Heff. ?

Kevin

My eBrewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #12
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Again, adding CaCl doesn't soften the water. It reduces the Residual Alkalinity of the water which helps reduce mash pH. In my opinion, adding CaCl could be a preferred treatment for a beer that does not rely on hop bittering and flavor. But a caution is in order since overdosing with CaCl could present the same sort of minerally character, so remember: All things in Moderation!

I personally don't measure out mineral additions volumetrically since its inherently inaccurate due to variation in packing of the loose powders that some minerals are provided in. I guess its not such problem when dealing with more granular minerals, but I do prefer to weigh my additions. Weighing also provides a finer dosing capability if the scale is sensitive enough. I suggest getting a scale with 0.1 gram resolution if brewing in 10 gal or smaller batches.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply