Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > got a water report - help interpreting it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 629 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Yes, you do have chlorine or chloramine. The way things are worded ('free') the suggestion is that there is no chloramine but there is a simple test you can do with no equipment other than two tumblers and your nose. See the Campden Tablet post in the Stickies.

You ceratinaly should have no problems with hop assertiveness in your beers given the sulfate levels in the water.

As to general comments on this water: don't use it. Run it through a softener (to protect you plumbing, laundry, shower heads etc.) and then through an RO unit. Add a couple of salts to that (see Primer in Stickies) and start making beer you like. It can be that simple.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #12
cooper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

That's exactly what I did too AJ. My water was pretty nasty and it was clogging up the shower heads and doing who knows what to the washing machines. When I got into the shower it was like stepping into a pool the chlorine was so strong. I got a Pelican system to filter the water and bought an under-sink RO system and now I add the dark grains at vorlauf and treat the water with some CaCl and acid malt (if needed) to keep the PH where it needs to be.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply