Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Glycerin/water ratio for freezing yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011, 07:07 AM   #21
WheeledGoat
DisMember
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

sooooooo.... what's the verdict on that fermentation?

Kegged & On Tap: Bavarian Hefeweizen, 3-year aged Cider

Projects: The Ravens Keezer - Custom Gas System - 10gal MLT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #22
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet

Makes sense for evenly distributed alleles (.5^10 is mighty small, after all), but I've still got to think that this has the tendency to eliminate relatively less frequent traits (.9^10 isn't quite so tiny). If we did this with people, we'd run out of redheads pretty quick.
Well, the idea is obviously that genetic diversity isn't even ideal with yeast. You're taking 10 colonies of (virtually) genetically identical yeast cells. The aim is to keep the yeast the same, with minimal change. So not only is the disappearance of redheads not a problem, but you don't want them pop up, and when they do, you WANT them to be stamped out. The point is, that with good practice, the traits you want should *never* be relatively infrequent within your sample.

You can't really compare yeast with people like that, because there's an enormous, key difference - genetic diversity is completely undesirable when you're trying to maintain a pure yeast culture.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #23
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1257 Times on 836 Posts
Likes Given: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Well, the idea is obviously that genetic diversity isn't even ideal with yeast. You're taking 10 colonies of (virtually) genetically identical yeast cells. The aim is to keep the yeast the same, with minimal change. So not only is the disappearance of redheads not a problem, but you don't want them pop up, and when they do, you WANT them to be stamped out. The point is, that with good practice, the traits you want should *never* be relatively infrequent within your sample.

You can't really compare yeast with people like that, because there's an enormous, key difference - genetic diversity is completely undesirable when you're trying to maintain a pure yeast culture.
That's never been my understanding, based on hearing yeast people talk. Certainly some key features, particularly flocculation, are desirable in distribution.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-28-2011, 04:41 AM   #24
StMarcos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

From what I've read on yeast culturing, there is no substitution to tasting some of a trial beer prior to pitching the main tank. There IS a limit to what can be done with with scoping and plating etc. This was very frustrating to me when I first started culturing. Not that I've ever noticed a problem (or done trial batches for that matter), but I was hoping for a set of rules, that if followed, would guarantee a perfect # of healthy cells that were always mostly the same yeast I bought from the lab....

Quick Reply