Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Brew Science (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/)
-   -   german pilsner water (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/german-pilsner-water-359688/)

+HopSpunge+ 10-08-2012 06:36 PM

german pilsner water
 
I have one of those home house water filters with a charcoal filter in it. Will runing my water threw that be good enough to make a german pilsner. Or will I have to add R.O. Water to make it softer? I make a regular lager about once a year and that comes out ok. But want to try and make a german pilsner this time. Something like the victory prima pils. Thanks in advance HS

DrinkNoH2O 10-08-2012 07:36 PM

Totally depends on your local water. I'd recommend obtaining a local water report and then checking out this tool:

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

+HopSpunge+ 10-08-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkNoH2O
Totally depends on your local water. I'd recommend obtaining a local water report and then checking out this tool:

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

I thought maybee the charcoal filter took all (or most) of the minerals out of the water. I guess it doesn't. I will call and order a water report then.

+HopSpunge+ 10-08-2012 10:36 PM

Oh poop. That web site is complicated :( :( .. ... .. .

Yooper 10-08-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by +HopSpunge+ (Post 4481258)
Oh poop. That web site is complicated :( :( .. ... .. .

I know! But try again, and again and again. It's worth it. I gave up at first, because I'm no chemist. But through many posts, and talking it out, and doing lots of reading, I get it now. And trust me, if I can get it, anybody can!

A big help to me was reading Kaiser's website, with a very similar spreadsheet: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=At_home_water_testing to start.

Then, http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_read_a_water_report

Trust me. Read them both (even though you don't have a test yet), and then read them again, and you'll start to get it. I promise. Soon, it'll seem easy (or at least easier!).

ajdelange 10-08-2012 10:58 PM

No, a charcoal filter doesn't touch the inorganics (minerals).

I analyzed Victory's water for them back in '98 and as luck would have it it's on this machine. I found:

Water Sample - Collected 20 JUN 98

pH 6.86

Alkalinity
26 mg/L as CaCO3

Sodium - By ISE
8.3 mg/L

Magnesium Hardness
27 mg/L CaCO3
6.7 mg/L Mg2+

Calcium Hardness
51 mg/L CaCO3
20 mg/L Ca2+

Chloride

27.92 mg/L Cl- Dil X: 2.0000

Sulfate
17.6 mg/L SO4-2 Dil X: 1.0000


Total Iron
0.065 mg/L Fe

Fe(II) - Ferrous (Clear water) Iron
0.003 mg/L Fe2+ Dil X: 1.0000

Manganese

0.009 mg/L Mn Dil X: 1.0000
Note: EDL 0.005 mg/L

Copper
0.064 mg/L Cu Dil X: 1.0000

Potassium
2.25 mg/L K+

Nitrate
1.2 mg/L NO3--N

Silicate
8.9 mg/L SiO2


Nitrite
0.0047 mg/L NO2--N

Zinc
0.169 mg/L Zn Dil X: 1.0000

Don't know what, if anything, they do to their water but they wouldn't have to do anything to brew a pretty good pils (which their Pils is) from this water.

+HopSpunge+ 10-09-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajdelange
No, a charcoal filter doesn't touch the inorganics (minerals).

I analyzed Victory's water for them back in '98 and as luck would have it it's on this machine. I found:

Water Sample - Collected 20 JUN 98

pH 6.86

Alkalinity
26 mg/L as CaCO3

Sodium - By ISE
8.3 mg/L

Magnesium Hardness
27 mg/L CaCO3
6.7 mg/L Mg2+

Calcium Hardness
51 mg/L CaCO3
20 mg/L Ca2+

Chloride

27.92 mg/L Cl- Dil X: 2.0000

Sulfate
17.6 mg/L SO4-2 Dil X: 1.0000

Total Iron
0.065 mg/L Fe

Fe(II) - Ferrous (Clear water) Iron
0.003 mg/L Fe2+ Dil X: 1.0000

Manganese

0.009 mg/L Mn Dil X: 1.0000
Note: EDL 0.005 mg/L

Copper
0.064 mg/L Cu Dil X: 1.0000

Potassium
2.25 mg/L K+

Nitrate
1.2 mg/L NO3--N

Silicate
8.9 mg/L SiO2

Nitrite
0.0047 mg/L NO2--N

Zinc
0.169 mg/L Zn Dil X: 1.0000

Don't know what, if anything, they do to their water but they wouldn't have to do anything to brew a pretty good pils (which their Pils is) from this water.

Wow. Thanks ajdelange. This will help lots. I googled prima pils clone, and could not find any really solid info. A few people tried to clone it but could not figure it out. But i'm not that pickey if can come up with something close I will be more than happy.

ajdelange 10-09-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by +HopSpunge+ (Post 4481258)
Oh poop. That web site is complicated :( :( .. ... .. .

Fortunately, for a Pils you don't have to worry about all or any of that stuff. Get some low mineral content water (like RO or DI) and add half a tsp of calcium chloride to each 5 gallons treated. Use 3% sauermalz in your grist. You will, provided you do everything else right, get a very good Pils.

+HopSpunge+ 10-09-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajdelange

Fortunately, for a Pils you don't have to worry about all or any of that stuff. Get some low mineral content water (like RO or DI) and add half a tsp of calcium chloride to each 5 gallons treated. Use 3% sauermalz in your grist. You will, provided you do everything else right, get a very good Pils.

This will help alot. This is what i am going to do. Plus a water report from the city wont work. I run it threw the charcoal filter to get rid of the chlorine smell. I would have to send my home filtered water off to be tested somewere. Thanks again...

DrinkNoH2O 10-09-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by +HopSpunge+ (Post 4481502)
This will help alot. This is what i am going to do. Plus a water report from the city wont work. I run it threw the charcoal filter to get rid of the chlorine smell. I would have to send my home filtered water off to be tested somewere. Thanks again...


Yes, you can brew a good pils (particularly a Czech Pilsner) with RO/Distilled water with a couple small additions.


Overall I think you're putting to much weight into your charcoal filter - it will remove some nasty/smelly organics but will have zero effect on the alkalinity and hardness of your water. Therefore your city's water report will work just fine, no need to test your water after filtering because the filter doesn't remove or alter the key items you'd be looking for in the report.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:08 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.