New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > A gallon of bleach to clean my well?




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
Bigbeavk
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Frederick, Maryland
Posts: 458
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default A gallon of bleach to clean my well?

I'm going to start brewing at home and since I'm on a well I've heard it is recommended to dump a gallon of bleach in the well to kill all the germs in my pipes. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

As far as I 've heard it goes something like this.

Dump Bleach in the well
Open all faucets and allow the bleach to enter each pipe until you smell it's presence.
Close faucet and allow a certain amount of time for the bleach to do it's job.
Open all faucets to flush the bleach from the system.



__________________
Bigbeavk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
broadbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 3,142
Liked 255 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Default

I've never heard of this, nor would I recommend it. Do you drink the water out of your well? If so, why isn't the water suitable for brewing then?



__________________
broadbill is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oblivion
Posts: 46,103
Liked 4526 Times on 4246 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default

Ummm, so, if you dumped the bleach into the well proper.......


Wouldn't you have to drain the well dry to get rid of all the bleach?

__________________
GilaMinumBeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
Stratotankard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Stratotankard's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Jacksonville, AR
Posts: 658
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I don't know about it killing germs in your system, seems like it might dilute an awful lot. That said, growing up we had terrible hard sulfur smelling water and my dad used to dump a cap full of pool shock down the well each week. It kept the rotten egg smell to a minimum, but the first shower after treatment burned your eyes the chlorine was so strong. So, maybe it won't dilute that much.

Of course you're going to boil all of your water before fermentation, so germs shouldn't really be an issue.

Terje

__________________

---------------------------------------------
Primary: Burned Mead
Secondary: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Bottled: More Bourbon Barrel Porter, New Pekin Common, Flat Tail Old Ale, Bad Monkey Banana Wine, Flanders Red, Pumpkin Ale
Drinking: Too Much
On deck: Something crazy to use up the 3+ pounds of hops sitting in my freezer

Stratotankard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
Bigbeavk
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Frederick, Maryland
Posts: 458
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Ummm, so, if you dumped the bleach into the well proper.......


Wouldn't you have to drain the well dry to get rid of all the bleach?
The well is tapping into the underground aquifer so it will dissipate in time. The object is to clean the pipes I guess. And I've heard some horror stories of people not flushing it all out and then ruining a couple loads of wash. We haven't done this in the 20yrs we've lived here but getting into brewing I just wanted to make sure. I will get a sample pulled this spring to see what we have to start with.
__________________
Bigbeavk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
MachineShopBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Montrose, MN
Posts: 1,053
Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

Wouldn't it be safer and easier to just get a water filter?

__________________
MachineShopBrewing is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
Special Hops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kanatenah
Posts: 1,431
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Do you drink your well water?

General rule: If it's good for drinking it's good for brewing.

__________________
KANATENAH BREWERY
On Tap:Foreign Extra Stout, ESB
Fermenting: Fools Gold IIPA
Up Next: Oatmeal Stout
Special Hops is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
pkeeler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 740
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

There is no reason to pour bleach down your well. Probably is illegal in some states too. A well is not a container. Putting bleach into the aquifer would be like putting bleach into a river. It will be diluted out of existence extremely quickly. If you have a bacteria problem, it will still be there. Further, if you have a bacteria problem, beer would probably be the only thing I would make with it. You should not be drinking it or cooking with it and certainly not showering with it. Get a water test or leave it alone.

__________________
pkeeler is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
ajdelange
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: McLean/Ogden, Virginia/Quebec
Posts: 5,214
Liked 453 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

What you describe is pretty much the SOP for "shocking" a well after it has been subject to potential contamination but unless you have had some work done on it or have reason to believe mice have been pooping in or something like that you shouldn't have to worry about doing this. You can have a bacterial analysis done - look in the phone book under water testing.

The procedure is to simply dump bleach down the well. Bypass filters etc. Household bleach is usually 5 trade percent. I think shocking is often done with stronger hypochlorite solution. It should be allowed to sit for 24 hrs after which a hose should be connected and allowed to run for 15 minutes per hour (to prevent the well from running dry) emptying far from the well or septic field if you have one. This is repeated until you don't smell chlorine exiting the hose. You can then turn on taps inside the house, letting them run until you smell no chlorine. Don't do any laundry, shower or drink water until the chlorine aroma is no stronger than that of normal municipal water. To be on the safe side wait until you can't smell chlorine at all.

You can, after dumping in the chlorine, run taps in the house until you smell chlorine in order to let the chlorine at the pipes over the 24 hour period but this should not be necessary unless you suspect contamination in your pipes.

__________________
ajdelange is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
Bigbeavk
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Frederick, Maryland
Posts: 458
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

Thanks guys. I'll just get a sample taken. I'm pretty sure the county will do it once a year free of charge.



__________________
Bigbeavk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to clean/store pH meter? (Phep 5 model) kal Brew Science 5 10-13-2011 02:20 PM