Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Food Grade Dry Ice Cooling didnt work

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #11
TipsyDragon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

i use dry ice to chill my wort all the time. i use a slightly different method than you do but it works. i get a small tub of water thats big enough to set the brew pot in. fill it part way with ice water. when brewing is done and your ready to cool i drop the dry ice in the tub of ice water then put the pot in on top of that. then hook up my wort chiller and let it do its thing. the dry ice keeps the water in the tub cold and seems to make the cooling much faster than just a wort chiller alone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by swankyswede View Post
Also, dry ice (aka solid carbon dioxide) sublimes directly from the solid to gaseous form at -109 F, not 68 F.
You mean 'sublimates'? Ha - just kidding - i had to play nazi too, since everyone else was.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Old 06-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #13
swankyswede
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusgarrett View Post
You mean 'sublimates'? Ha - just kidding - i had to play nazi too, since everyone else was.
Haha, we're both right, you had me doubting myself for a second, but either is correct per http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sublime.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #14
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2118 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluna View Post
well i learned something today i boiled 5 gallons of water 200+f and put in 5 Lbs of dry Ice of -132F and almost nothing happened since dry ices Boiling temperature is 68F but water boils at 4times that temperature so the laden heat effect kicks in and just Blows all its energy out really fast instead of slowly For Example Heat up a pan extremely hot and wet your hand and flick water on it and the water wont sizzle and evaporate instantly it will turn into a ball roll around

But o well it was fun and i decided to grab a thief and fill a small water bottle with some beer from a beer that is secondarying and carb it tasted pretty good also filled a couple bottles with a bit of water and dry ice and shoot them with a 1860 New Army 44 Cal Revolver BP

I got one of them! It's a cheap kit gun with a brass frame. Haven't shot it in years.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #15
brewmonk
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 84

goodluckwithallyourbrewingandshooting.

-I'm not getting older, but the floor is getting further away.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #16
rocketman768
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swankyswede View Post
Also, dry ice (aka solid carbon dioxide) sublimes directly from the solid to gaseous form at -109 F, not 68 F.
Yep, so as cold as the ice was (barely colder than sublimation temp), you didn't cool your wort down because the wort raised it to sublimation, and then you just had a cloud of cold CO2 above the wort which wasn't doing anything to cool the wort down. Ever notice how when someone puts dry ice into colored water for that mad scientist effect how the water somehow never freezes?

Old 06-29-2010, 03:22 AM   #17
ZeroTucker
Recipes 

Dry ice can be dangerous if ingested. I was reading a website on dry ice and it recommends against that. Could you imagine if you drank dry ice. I was just reading an article about an MA kid that did it. What are the advantages to keeping drinks cold with dry ice?

Old 06-29-2010, 03:29 AM   #18
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 60

It's like someone keeps turning up the WTF in this thread....it's at critical levels!

Old 06-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #19
swankyswede
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTucker View Post
Dry ice can be dangerous if ingested. I was reading a website on dry ice and it recommends against that. Could you imagine if you drank dry ice. I was just reading an article about an MA kid that did it. What are the advantages to keeping drinks cold with dry ice?
THe only way dry ice is dangerous is if you eat the solid stuff, and it's only dangerous because it's very cold and expands a lot as it sublimes to a gas. Dry ice is just solid CO2, you drink CO2 in every beer you down...

Old 06-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #20
Searching4Hoppiness
Recipes 

Quote:
Dry ice can be dangerous if ingested. I was reading a website on dry ice and it recommends against that. Could you imagine if you drank dry ice

Did you know that dihydrogen monoxide is deadly too? And it's in BEER.

Quick Reply