Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Filter vs shortwave UVC

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
zazbnf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
ALL plastics have UV stabilizers that strongly filter UVB and UVC. Even glass will be a problem. I've had to use fused silica for 310nm. I did have some plastic lenses made from a special polymer that passed UVB once... I still have some of the raw resin from that.

Sorry, I know that's no help. You can buy UV sterilizers for fish tanks and home sterilization, but I wonder how well they work. I think they typically use fluorescent lamps.
That's what I was afraid of, don't really wan't to go with high dollar crystal glass. I guess I wasn't originally clear, my primary thought for this was for a cider I have in the fermenter that I wanted to halt fermentation on and wanted another option other than chemicals.

Hadn't considered the possibility of skunking beer, but now I want to try it Maybe I will brew a 2 gallon test batch of a pale ale, pull off a gallon to test under the UVC light and leave the other gallon as a control to see if it imparts noticable skunking.

If I could halt beer fermentation without ill effects, I did make a wonderful porter a while back that was awesome during an early sampling but later dried out as fermentation finished. Still good, but the early sample was better.

UVC is 290 nm - 100 nm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazbnf View Post
If I could halt beer fermentation without ill effects, I did make a wonderful porter a while back that was awesome during an early sampling but later dried out as fermentation finished. Still good, but the early sample was better.

UVC is 290 nm - 100 nm
Why not just mash at a higher temperature and/or use a yeast that doesn't attenuate as much?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply