Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Filter vs shortwave UVC
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
zazbnf
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
 
zazbnf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: , Illinois
Posts: 471
Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Filter vs shortwave UVC

Anyone have any experience using shortwave UVC to stabilize fermentation? I have the ability to filter, however due to liquid loss in the filter, am considering UVC Sterilization to kill yeast for halting fermentation.

I currently have a UVC light from another project, just not sure of the best way to pass the fermented beverage through the light box. Thought of coiled tubing, however it seems some plastics filter the UV light.

__________________
Quote:
There are better things in life than alcohol, but alcohol makes up for not having them.
- Terry Pratchet
zazbnf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,420
Liked 71 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazbnf View Post
Anyone have any experience using shortwave UVC to stabilize fermentation? I have the ability to filter, however due to liquid loss in the filter, am considering UVC Sterilization to kill yeast for halting fermentation.

I currently have a UVC light from another project, just not sure of the best way to pass the fermented beverage through the light box. Thought of coiled tubing, however it seems some plastics filter the UV light.
Uh, wouldn't that be a big no no for your hops? Plus, why do you think you need to go that far in sterilizing your beer?
__________________
afr0byte is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 19,250
Liked 3477 Times on 2153 Posts
Likes Given: 2986

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazbnf View Post
Anyone have any experience using shortwave UVC to stabilize fermentation? I have the ability to filter, however due to liquid loss in the filter, am considering UVC Sterilization to kill yeast for halting fermentation.

I currently have a UVC light from another project, just not sure of the best way to pass the fermented beverage through the light box. Thought of coiled tubing, however it seems some plastics filter the UV light.
ALL plastics have UV stabilizers that strongly filter UVB and UVC. Even glass will be a problem. I've had to use fused silica for 310nm. I did have some plastic lenses made from a special polymer that passed UVB once... I still have some of the raw resin from that.

Sorry, I know that's no help. You can buy UV sterilizers for fish tanks and home sterilization, but I wonder how well they work. I think they typically use fluorescent lamps.
__________________
Hey goomba I love how you dance the rumba
But take some advice paisano learn-a how to mambo
If you're gonna be a square you ain't-a gonna go anywhere.
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 19,250
Liked 3477 Times on 2153 Posts
Likes Given: 2986

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
Uh, wouldn't that be a big no no for your hops? Plus, why do you think you need to go that far in sterilizing your beer?
Er, yea, there is that too. Der.
__________________
Hey goomba I love how you dance the rumba
But take some advice paisano learn-a how to mambo
If you're gonna be a square you ain't-a gonna go anywhere.
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Carmel, IN
Posts: 2,765
Liked 192 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
Uh, wouldn't that be a big no no for your hops? Plus, why do you think you need to go that far in sterilizing your beer?
I seem to recall that the skunking reaction occurs in a narrow range of wavelength. Was it 640 nM? If the UV sterilizer operated in another range, this might work without skunking.
__________________

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

mabrungard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,420
Liked 71 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard View Post
I seem to recall that the skunking reaction occurs in a narrow range of wavelength. Was it 640 nM? If the UV sterilizer operated in another range, this might work without skunking.
Huh, I'm not sure. I think I remember AJ talking about the specific wavelengths in a thread on here, and 640nM sounds in the ballpark, but truthfully I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it. Btw, I'm going to do a sample mash somewhat similar to the mash from the thread about EZ water and Bru'n Water being so different (I'm doing a mild on Saturday). I'll see if diluting 1:1 with my tap water (214 mg/L alkalinity as CaCO3) is enough, assuming a Ca of ~55mg/L. Bru'n water estimates a 5.4pH.
__________________
afr0byte is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,420
Liked 71 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

I found this in BYO: "There are numerous references in the brewing literature stating that light ranging from 350–520 nm results in skunky beer. That covers the upper portion of the UV light range and visible light from violet to green, including blue."

__________________
afr0byte is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 19,250
Liked 3477 Times on 2153 Posts
Likes Given: 2986

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
I found this in BYO: "There are numerous references in the brewing literature stating that light ranging from 350–520 nm results in skunky beer. That covers the upper portion of the UV light range and visible light from violet to green, including blue."
I'd make a small bet that even shorter wavelengths would have an effect, and probably a greater effect. As the wavelength gets shorter, the light energy increases.
__________________
Hey goomba I love how you dance the rumba
But take some advice paisano learn-a how to mambo
If you're gonna be a square you ain't-a gonna go anywhere.
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Carmel, IN
Posts: 2,765
Liked 192 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte View Post
I'll see if diluting 1:1 with my tap water (214 mg/L alkalinity as CaCO3) is enough, assuming a Ca of ~55mg/L. Bru'n water estimates a 5.4pH.
Since this is a brown to black beer, there has to be some roast. And I expect that the recipe includes a bit of crystal too. The 100 ppm alkalinity might be OK for mash pH purposes. The result seems reasonable in my experience.
__________________

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

mabrungard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,420
Liked 71 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard View Post
Since this is a brown to black beer, there has to be some roast. And I expect that the recipe includes a bit of crystal too. The 100 ppm alkalinity might be OK for mash pH purposes. The result seems reasonable in my experience.
We shall find out. It has some crystal 60 (9%), crystal 150 (5%), and a bit of brown (3%) and chocolate (2%).
__________________
afr0byte is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I think I need a RO filter, opinions? HHP Brew Science 5 08-09-2011 11:13 AM
Water Filter flexbrew Brew Science 4 06-17-2011 05:23 PM
Which is the better filter? Teromous Brew Science 10 05-11-2011 12:09 PM
Well Water Filter bnut Brew Science 10 09-15-2010 07:01 PM
RO Filter performance jdieter Brew Science 3 08-17-2010 10:26 PM