Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Fermentable sweeteners

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 01:39 AM   #11
afr0byte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Wouldn't it be much easier to do a simple experiment with a liter of wort?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #12
Goyagon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afr0byte
Wouldn't it be much easier to do a simple experiment with a liter of wort?
Probably but I thought it would be safer and faster just to ask.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 570 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyagon View Post
So I was hoping someone here had more knowledge about this.
While I still don't qualify a little reading shows that aspartame decomposes into aspartic acid and phenylalanine(the 2 amino acids from which it is made) and methanol and that the process is accelerated by heat and high pH. Thus, conceptually, you could add the spice you intend to use to water, add some pickling lime, boil it, cool it and neutralize with phosphoric or lactic acid. This should leave the spice and the amino acids which yeast certainly can deal with. Aspartic acid is in Group A (taken up initially, synthesized later) and phenylalanine in Group B (taken up initially). Wort contains all sorts of amino acids and the small amounts involved here shouldn't be a problem. A taste test would reveal whether my concept is valid or not. If the mix is no longer sweet you have broken down the aspartame. The boil would drive off the methanol or most of it and the amount produced would be small anyway. As to the effect of heat on the spice itself - you'll find that out and that's something you would want to know as I assume you'd be adding this stuff to the kettle.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #14
Goyagon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange

While I still don't qualify a little reading shows that aspartame decomposes into aspartic acid and phenylalanine(the 2 amino acids from which it is made) and methanol and that the process is accelerated by heat and high pH. Thus, conceptually, you could add the spice you intend to use to water, add some pickling lime, boil it, cool it and neutralize with phosphoric or lactic acid. This should leave the spice and the amino acids which yeast certainly can deal with. Aspartic acid is in Group A (taken up initially, synthesized later) and phenylalanine in Group B (taken up initially). Wort contains all sorts of amino acids and the small amounts involved here shouldn't be a problem. A taste test would reveal whether my concept is valid or not. If the mix is no longer sweet you have broken down the aspartame. The boil would drive off the methanol or most of it and the amount produced would be small anyway. As to the effect of heat on the spice itself - you'll find that out and that's something you would want to know as I assume you'd be adding this stuff to the kettle.
Hmm I'll try boiling it and tasting it. But if that doesn't work I think I will just make a homemade version of the spice

Old 11-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 570 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Don't forget the alkali. If you don't have pickling lime some baking soda should do. And you wouldn't have to neutralize that. Don't use much.

Quick Reply