Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > EZ Water Calculator 3.0

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #21
VikeMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Much for the update!

One question... why no NaCl in this version? I sometimes add a little NaCl to get some more chloride without moving the pH.

Don't mean to sound ungrateful!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 02:09 AM   #22
CPooley4
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

TH - I'm toying around with the calculator a bit. Wanted to see if I could add the Acid malt to the malts list with it's DI pH value rather than inputting separately under the Adjust pH Down section of your calculator. Any idea why inputting 4 oz in the Adjust pH Down section would give a different value than when I use 4 oz in the malts list with the DI pH value of 3.44 per Kai's paper? I'm sure is has something to do with the acid content, but wouldn't that be accounted for in the lower DI pH value of the malt?

Thanks,

cp

If you're considering buying brewing software do yourself a favor and download my Brew Chart/Workbook first. You may not need to spend that money.

I like beer math!

Old 08-13-2011, 04:10 AM   #23
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Really nice! Good work TH. Been a fan since the first version.

Just out of curiosity, why did you drop NaCl? (Other than the fact that I've personally never used it myself and can't imagine I ever would...)

Kal

P.S. While I applaud the free nature of your spreadsheet, you should at least put up a PayPal donate button on the site. I'd certainly send you something for the hard work. It would at least help pay for the domain registration/hosting fees.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #24
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AScott View Post
This may be a dumb question and feel free to tell me if it is, but how does one account for adjunct grains like flaked oats and flaked barley in the spreadsheet?

Do they matter at all? Without putting them in the grain bill section the mash thickness is off and the weight of the grain is off, as well.

I've done a search, but I'm just not finding the answer. Perhaps my search-fu is not strong enough.
I don't have a lot of data on these, I've read somewhere that flaked barley is approx. the same DI mash pH as 2-row. So you could count them as 2-row, or you could leave them out - I know it affects your mash thickness, but that shouldn't affect pH by too much.

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 08-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #25
-TH-
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikeMan View Post
Thanks Much for the update!

One question... why no NaCl in this version? I sometimes add a little NaCl to get some more chloride without moving the pH.

Don't mean to sound ungrateful!
No problem, I took it out because I didn't think people used it much and I didn't want people to put too much sodium in. But for people out there like you who use it wisely, I could probably throw it back in. I'll let you know when I get to it.

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet

Old 08-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #26
-TH-
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPooley4 View Post
TH - I'm toying around with the calculator a bit. Wanted to see if I could add the Acid malt to the malts list with it's DI pH value rather than inputting separately under the Adjust pH Down section of your calculator. Any idea why inputting 4 oz in the Adjust pH Down section would give a different value than when I use 4 oz in the malts list with the DI pH value of 3.44 per Kai's paper? I'm sure is has something to do with the acid content, but wouldn't that be accounted for in the lower DI pH value of the malt?

Thanks,

cp
I'll have to look at this when I have time. If I remember correctly, the formula I used for acid malt's affect on pH was based on a combination of my own experience and info I have seen elsewhere.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #27
AScott
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TH- View Post
I don't have a lot of data on these, I've read somewhere that flaked barley is approx. the same DI mash pH as 2-row. So you could count them as 2-row, or you could leave them out - I know it affects your mash thickness, but that shouldn't affect pH by too much.
Thanks! Love the spreadsheet. It's really helped me (been using it since version 1 and it keeps getting better).

By the way, you don't seem to be alone as far as lack of data on this is concerned. I've searched high and low for some solid info and I've yet to find it.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #28
-TH-
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
Really nice! Good work TH. Been a fan since the first version.

Just out of curiosity, why did you drop NaCl? (Other than the fact that I've personally never used it myself and can't imagine I ever would...)

Kal
Thanks.

Mostly because by being on there I felt it might "suggest" to someone to use it, when I've learned its best not to if possible - or maybe sparingly at least. However, I may add it back (with a caveat) due to semi-poplular demand.

Quote:
P.S. While I applaud the free nature of your spreadsheet, you should at least put up a PayPal donate button on the site. I'd certainly send you something for the hard work. It would at least help pay for the domain registration/hosting fees.
Yeah, I thought about doing that but felt kind of funny about it - don't know why really. Maybe I should. In the meantime, there's always this option ...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/donate.p...eiver_ID=26617

Old 08-14-2011, 01:29 AM   #29
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TH- View Post
Yeah, I thought about doing that but felt kind of funny about it - don't know why really. Maybe I should. In the meantime, there's always this option ...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/donate.p...eiver_ID=26617
Done! You should now have a "HomeBrewTalk Premium Membership". Oddly enough, I don't see it beside your name when I refresh this thread... and my subscription wasn't increased by 1 year so it didn't go to me. If you don't have it let me know and I'll complain. I have the PayPal receipt to prove payment.

Thanks for your hard work!

Kal

Old 08-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #30
-TH-
Recipes 

Quote:
Done! You should now have a "HomeBrewTalk Premium Membership". Oddly enough, I don't see it beside your name when I refresh this thread... and my subscription wasn't increased by 1 year so it didn't go to me. If you don't have it let me know and I'll complain. I have the PayPal receipt to prove payment.

Thanks for your hard work!

Kal
Got it! Thanks! I really appreciate that!

Quick Reply