Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > EZ Water Calculator 3.0

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #101
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Carmel, IN
Posts: 2,696
Liked 181 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

There hasn't been a shift in the actual pH. I think the difference is that other resources were reporting mash pH's at mash temperature instead of mash pH after the sample is cooled to room temperature. That is roughly a 0.2 to 0.3 difference (room temp pH is higher than at mash temp).

__________________

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

mabrungard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #102
Steelers77
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Steelers77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Janesville, WI
Posts: 2,015
Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Nice, I like the new workbook.

I will brew tomorrow so I will have a chance to review this soon.

Are you planning on a sparge acidification sheet anytime soon?

__________________
Pearl Malt is back in stock!

Get your hops, 85 varieties starting at $.75/oz!

Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra in stock now!

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com

https://www.facebook.com/Farmhousebrewingsupply

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Farmhousebrew
Steelers77 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 07:37 AM   #103
hector
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Last Station
Posts: 666
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

I'm using this Calculator for the first time and as I put my water profile and the amount of grain in , it gave me 11 as the Residual Alkalinity .

Since I'm using only 2-row pale malt , I'd like to know if I can really get the SRM related to this RA ?!

Hector

__________________
hector is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #104
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,773
Liked 4381 Times on 3188 Posts
Likes Given: 854

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
I'm using this Calculator for the first time and as I put my water profile and the amount of grain in , it gave me 11 as the Residual Alkalinity .

Since I'm using only 2-row pale malt , I'd like to know if I can really get the SRM related to this RA ?!

Hector
Of course you can. It depends on the water you start with. But don't consider SRM, because the actual color of the beer doesn't matter.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #105
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Thiensville, Wisconsin
Posts: 6,654
Liked 211 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 370

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard View Post
There hasn't been a shift in the actual pH. I think the difference is that other resources were reporting mash pH's at mash temperature instead of mash pH after the sample is cooled to room temperature. That is roughly a 0.2 to 0.3 difference (room temp pH is higher than at mash temp).
ah, ok. so, it's 5.4-5.6 at room temp, and 5.2-5.4 at mash temp?
__________________
Quote:
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894
motobrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #106
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,071
Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

I'm brewing a darker american style hoppy beer (Janet's Brown Ale at 18 SRM, 1.066 OG, 63 IBU).

Normally for hoppy american style beers (IIPAs, IPAs, APAs) I target Randy Mosher's ideal Pale Ale numbers (Ca=110, Mg=18, Na=17, Cl=50, S04=350) to bring out some of the hop brightness and never have issues. Salts get added to both the Mash and Boil as expected.

For my water and volumes this would be the following for this beer:

Add to mash: 10.8g CaSO4, 2.9g CaCl2, 5.3g MgSO4
Add to boil: 12.1g CaSO4, 3.2g CaCl2, 5.9g MgSO4

However, because of the darkness of this beer I hit the proper pH range in the mash *without* adding any mash salts. So I left them out.

I'll still add the boil salts to the boil but I'm wondering how much of the mash salts (if any) I should I also add to the boil?

My understanding is that when sparging, 100% of the mash salts don't make it over so I don't want to simply dump *all* the salts in the boil. Problem is I don't know how much does or what I should do to compensate. Any hints? Just add the boil salts? Add the boil salts plus 50% of the mash salts? Something else?

Kal

__________________
TheElectricBrewery.com: A step by step guide to building your own electric brewery
My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
kal is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #107
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,071
Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
I'm brewing a darker american style hoppy beer (Janet's Brown Ale at 18 SRM, 1.066 OG, 63 IBU).

Normally for hoppy american style beers (IIPAs, IPAs, APAs) I target Randy Mosher's ideal Pale Ale numbers (Ca=110, Mg=18, Na=17, Cl=50, S04=350) to bring out some of the hop brightness and never have issues. Salts get added to both the Mash and Boil as expected.

For my water and volumes this would be the following for this beer:

Add to mash: 10.8g CaSO4, 2.9g CaCl2, 5.3g MgSO4
Add to boil: 12.1g CaSO4, 3.2g CaCl2, 5.9g MgSO4

However, because of the darkness of this beer I hit the proper pH range in the mash *without* adding any mash salts. So I left them out.

I'll still add the boil salts to the boil but I'm wondering how much of the mash salts (if any) I should I also add to the boil?

My understanding is that when sparging, 100% of the mash salts don't make it over so I don't want to simply dump *all* the salts in the boil. Problem is I don't know how much does or what I should do to compensate. Any hints? Just add the boil salts? Add the boil salts plus 50% of the mash salts? Something else?
For anyone's who's curious: I ended up throwin in the mash salts anyway and the mash pH only dropped an extra 0.01 - 0.02, likely due to the excellent buffering capacity of this mash. So all is good. I'll have the flavour profile that I like/expect.

Kal
__________________
TheElectricBrewery.com: A step by step guide to building your own electric brewery
My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
kal is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #108
sudsmcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sudsmcgee's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Western Chicago Burbs, IL
Posts: 1,515
Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
ah, ok. so, it's 5.4-5.6 at room temp, and 5.2-5.4 at mash temp?
After much reading on this topic, that is my understanding.
__________________

"If you're here for the premature ejaculators meeting, you've come too soon."

sudsmcgee is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #109
deanocamino
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fairmont, wv
Posts: 8
Default

I am glad I came across this thread, I used EZ several times and was still trying to wrap my head around why it did not seem to agree with palmers SRM nomograph. Thanks

__________________
deanocamino is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 12:28 AM   #110
RichBenn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tahoe
Posts: 744
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

OK, having not used this since, probably 1.0, I like it better because it has pH. HOWEVER, I am confused and wonder if there is problems in the pH calculation.

Let me explain. I have very low mineral content water. It is:

(Ca ppm) (Mg ppm) (Na ppm) (Cl ppm) (SO4 ppm)Alkalinity (CaCO3 ppm)
16 1 8 0.5 0.5 59

I've been adjusting it to:
96 11 8 77 131 59

The last time I checked pH during a mash (with a good meter, .05 accuracy), it was about 5.2-5.3 with a light colored (6-7 SRM) beer. Your 3.0 spreadsheet shows my pH would be 5.65.

I thought this may be because I was using a thinner mash than I used to. But changing the quantity of mash water vs. sparge makes no difference in the pH in the spreadsheet. Is that right? Seems like it would change. Also, I cannot really change the effective mash pH in the program without using acidulated malt, or adding about 10-20 times the amount of pH down (gypsum, calcium chloride, and epsom salt) I currently use!

Just asking. I haven't played with the new spreadsheet much yet, and I haven't located the exact recipe I used when I checked the pH (although it was the same SRM). Next beer I'll check pH again, but I'm getting great efficiency and no astrigency with a similar recipe, so I'm not thinking my pH is suddenly higher....

__________________
RichBenn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EZ Water Calculator 2.0 -TH- Brew Science 159 03-21-2014 01:57 PM
EZ Water Calculator ? smuth10 Brew Science 22 04-26-2011 07:33 PM
Updated water calculator Kaiser Brew Science 3 03-26-2011 07:05 PM
EZ Water Calculator 2.0 and Batch Size VikeMan Brew Science 8 03-08-2011 02:23 PM
Question on EZ Water Calculator 2.0 adromo Brew Science 2 02-12-2011 04:40 PM