Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > EZ Water Calculator 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010, 06:02 AM   #21
martinworswick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

thank you very much, i may try a bit of headscratching tinkering to see if i can convert it to metric-any suggestions appreciated, working in carpentry doesn't really require office software skills!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2010, 06:54 AM   #22
soGGy
Recipes 

Thanks for the work

Old 09-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #23
adam01
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The water report lists 'Hardness' as 55 (average). This is probably what you are looking
for.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #24
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 09-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #25
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 538 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam01 View Post
The water report lists 'Hardness' as 55 (average). This is probably what you are looking
for.
No, he said alkalinity or bicarbonate neither of which is listed. Also he specifically said Bear Gulch which has an average hardness of 170. The 55 number is for the SFPUC district.

You may be confusing "carbonate hardness" with hardness. Carbonate "hardness" is the term Europeans sometimes use to describe alkalinity. In this case it means the part of the hardness which is paired with bicarbonate i.e. the alkalinity (at pH < 8.3). Here, the carbonate hardness, usually called "temporary hardness" in the US, is about 170 with the rest of the 189 being being "permanent hardness" (paired with sulfate and chloride). If there is no chloride or sulfate (or other anion) then alkalinity and hardness are the same.

And yes, I did say 50 last night but that was because, like the big dummy I can sometimes be, I didn't notice that the "as sulfur" check box on my spreadsheet was selected. The total alkalinity for these data would be about 189. I'll go back and correct yesterday's post.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #26
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

That is so Awesome! I can't wait to use it on my next batch! Thanks so much for your contributions to the community. You should get free beer everywhere you go.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #27
thorongil
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why were the regional profiles removed? Doesn't that help us target the product we are shooting for? Other than that, I love the changes (and the work-around for Excel for Mac).

Old 09-16-2010, 08:52 PM   #28
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorongil View Post
Why were the regional profiles removed? Doesn't that help us target the product we are shooting for.

Second that.

http://www.lonewolfbrewery.com/

Old 09-17-2010, 01:34 AM   #29
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorongil View Post
Why were the regional profiles removed? Doesn't that help us target the product we are shooting for? ...
IMO the target we are shooting for is #1 getting pH right and #2 getting ions within preferred ranges (not necessarily matching a historical profile). I understand there might be a few hard core folks out there who really want to match regions - thats why I put it on v1.0 (it was by request). However, after I did that, so many people got the wrong idea thinking they HAD to match region profile. It created way more confusion that what it was worth. With v2.0 I figure if someone is bent on matching a profile, they can still do that by finding the values on their own and matching them by comparison. They should be aware however that to match the profile exactly might be difficult to get right and might require a lot of salts/acids - in which case the resulting water might not end up a perfect match due to factors outside the realm of this spreadsheet. Also, I've read (can't remember source) that the well-known breweries in these regions most likely adjust their water now anyway so attempting to match the published profiles is somewhat pointless.

Hope you can use it anyway

Cheers

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Fermentation Chamber | Concrete-Roller Mill | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet | Pneumatic Bottle Capper
Resources: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 09-17-2010, 02:00 AM   #30
thorongil
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That all makes good sense, and I will absolutely use the spreadsheet - it is a great tool for which I thank you. I'll just continue to compare to the regional ratios and RA to stay in the ballpark.

Quick Reply