Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > EZ Water Adjustment spreadsheet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009, 03:14 PM   #81
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1060 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You can easily get both the Cl and SO4 up with Calcuim Chloride and Gypsum (CaSO4). Of course, it also boosts Calcium. A touch of MgSO4 wouldn't hurt either.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 04:23 PM   #82
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 4516 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
My chloride to sulfate is 2.2, leaning to the malty/sweet. BUT, there are low levels of both. This could explain a lot about my beer since I moved here. Its not bland, but its lacking something. Is there a recommended Chloride level so the flavor is good?

TH- thanks so much for your work on this spreadsheet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
IIRC from the Brew Strong podcast, John Palmer recommends something like 50-150 ppm as a general rule of thumb.

Look at teh results section. The numbers below the tabulated results are the "preffered range" and TH has even conditionally formatted them to change color if they are below or exceed the range.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:27 AM   #83
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Am I missing something? I was hoping to put in my city or style as a goal for my water and have the sheet automatically plug in the numbers to adjust my water. I am finding that I am randomly pluggin in numbers to match the style and it is hit-or-miss. Mostly miss. Any tips would be appreciated.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:57 AM   #84
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo88 View Post
Am I missing something? I was hoping to put in my city or style as a goal for my water and have the sheet automatically plug in the numbers to adjust my water. I am finding that I am randomly pluggin in numbers to match the style and it is hit-or-miss. Mostly miss. Any tips would be appreciated.
This spreadsheet only helps you build your water. Brewater 3.0 will do what you are looking for.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:06 AM   #85
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo88 View Post
Yeah I've been meaning to put some basic instructions on the page but haven't got around to doing it yet. In the meantime...

After you enter your starting water profile and volumes, take a look at your Residual Alkalinity and determine which way you need to adjust it based on the SRM of your recipe. To increase RA, you'll need to increase carbonates, so add either CaCO3 or NaHCO3. To decrease RA, you'll need to increase either Ca or Mg, so add either CaSO4, CaCl2, or MgSo4. The salts you choose to adjust RA will be determined by what you want your Cl to SO4 ratio to be (bitter, balance, malty, etc.) and the desired individual mineral levels (either based on recommended ranges or target city profiles). It is a bit hit and miss, but it doesn't take long to see how each salt affects things differently. Personally, I like the control you have with doing it this way.

Hope that helps!

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 10-22-2009, 02:30 AM   #86
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

edited for double post

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 10-22-2009, 02:39 AM   #87
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Thanks for the replies. Part of the problem is that I live in Seattle. Which might as well be Pilsen. After I get it close my sodium is through the roof. It's more of a lack of understanding of the salts on my part I guess. I'll take your suggestions and try them out. It is more approachable than palmer's. Nice work.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:42 AM   #88
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I don't know if it would help anyone but I thought it was convenient to replace the word "grams" with "pH/RA up" or pH/RA down for each of the salt additions. I know the additions are all in grams but it's a learning curve before you remember the RA effect each has. I know brewater3.0 does the automatic thing but frankly, I want to learn how to build it. Once I can consistently do it in a few trials, I may reconsider.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 10-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #89
LeeF
Recipes 

TH,

I like how simple your spreadsheet is. Very user friendly. Cheers.

Your spreadsheet automatically makes the same salt additions to the mash as to the boil kettle based on the ratio of mash to sparge water. But what if you need to increase the RA for a darker beer and need to adjust the Cl:SO4 ratio? The RA is more important in the mash? Now if you need to adjust your Cl:SO4 ratio by adding either gypsum or CaCl2 you are decreasing the RA and fighting the additions you are making to increase the RA. Would it be better to add the Chalk to the mash and the gypsum or CaCl2 to the boil kettle?

Lee

Old 10-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #90
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Not exactly, at least in my mind. All of the salts except for NaCl have a mash pH effect. The only salt that I don't duplicate proportionally in the boil kettle is baking soda. While it does have an overall flavor impact via the Na, it's usually not something I'm trying to boost. Basically I just ignore the BK addition for that.

Quick Reply