Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > EZ Water Adjustment spreadsheet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #31
jdieter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nice work TH, is there a reason you didn't include canning salt in the adjustments cells. There are times I prefer it over baking soda so I don't increase the bicarbonate but increase the chloride to sulfate ratio.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #32
MarsColonist
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TH- View Post
This is what I had noted on the spreadsheet:
Bicarbonate (HCO3) = Alkalinity
as CaCO3 x 60 / 52

It was a little unclear because of the text wrap not to mention it should have been 61 / 50.

Now it shows:
Bicarbonate (HCO3) = Alkalinity as CaCO3 x 1.22
The 1.22 factor only works if your original pH is 8.4 or less. Here in Austin, our municipal water is ~9.4, and the most recent water report shows "Total alkalinity (as CaCO3) = 72"... by the 1.22 that would make the HCO3 = 87.8, but due to the high pH, a different formula has to be used.

From: Alkalinity (As of CaCO3 to As of HCO3-): Practical guide on unit conversion | Coal Geology & Mining

http://coalgeology.com/wp-content/up...geologycom.xls

From above spreadsheet: HCO3 = (Alkalinity as CaCO3 * 61) / (( 1 + ((2x10^-10.3)/(10^(-pH)))*50)

My calc comes out as 54, which is significantly off from the aforementioned 88...

Apparently, this is because "At higher pH carbonic acid becomes more stable than the bicarbonate ion."

Cheers!
-------------------------------

"Luck is when opportunity meets preparation" - Seneca

Austin Zealots

Old 09-08-2009, 08:28 AM   #33
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4955 Times on 4522 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Why don't you or Palmer include for Sodium Chloride (NaCl)?

Old 09-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #34
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhavoc View Post
The 1.22 factor only works if your original pH is 8.4 or less. Here in Austin, our municipal water is ~9.4, and the most recent water report shows "Total alkalinity (as CaCO3) = 72"... by the 1.22 that would make the HCO3 = 87.8, but due to the high pH, a different formula has to be used.

From: Alkalinity (As of CaCO3 to As of HCO3-): Practical guide on unit conversion | Coal Geology & Mining

http://coalgeology.com/wp-content/up...geologycom.xls

From above spreadsheet: HCO3 = (Alkalinity as CaCO3 * 61) / (( 1 + ((2x10^-10.3)/(10^(-pH)))*50)

My calc comes out as 54, which is significantly off from the aforementioned 88...

Apparently, this is because "At higher pH carbonic acid becomes more stable than the bicarbonate ion."
Thanks for pointing that out. I've looked into this a bit now and I think I'll leave it alone for a few reasons: 1. Palmer's spreadsheet doesn't account for it. 2. Even up to a pH of 9 its still in the ball park (within 10%). 3. I'm not sure if it even matters since the mash will bring the pH down anyways.

Ironically my spreadsheet (and Palmer's) convert back to alkalinity as CaCO3 to calculate Residual Alkalinity (using the 1.22) so if you put in your number (times 1.22) it would later divide by 1.22 and you'd be fine. THe spreadsheet would only be off (possibly) for those who enter HCO3 directly and have high water pH.

Also, just FYI when I put your numbers into the calculator on the second link you gave, I got 70.2 for the calculated HCO3 (not 54).

Also, just FYI my virus software picks up a trojan threat in the first link you posted.

Cheers!

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 09-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #35
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out. I've looked into this a bit now and I think I'll leave it alone for a few reasons: 1. Palmer's spreadsheet doesn't account for it.
Palmers spreadsheet let's you choose which unit...it's not obvious that it has this feature but it is there.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 09-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #36
-TH-
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
Palmers spreadsheet let's you choose which unit...it's not obvious that it has this feature but it is there.
Yes but if you look at his formulas he converts using a straight conversion (50/61). He does not factor in water pH like maxhavoc pointed out.

I updated mine so that you can enter either number to make it easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Why don't you or Palmer include for Sodium Chloride (NaCl)?
I'm not sure, maybe because he cautions against having Na AND Cl both high (in other words he recommends keeping one or the other low). Anyways I updated mine now to include it.

EDIT: I just read Palmer again and he says keep Na paired with Sulfates low (not Cl) so scratch what I just said above.

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet

Old 09-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #37
MarsColonist
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TH- View Post
Also, just FYI when I put your numbers into the calculator on the second link you gave, I got 70.2 for the calculated HCO3 (not 54).

Also, just FYI my virus software picks up a trojan threat in the first link you posted.
I use AVG, and I didnt get any trojan notice... hmmm.
Also, Im now not sure how I got 54. His spreadsheet does indeed show 70.2.
Thanks for the heads up! Now I have to see where my cali common stands for the salts I added

Cheers!
-------------------------------

"Luck is when opportunity meets preparation" - Seneca

Austin Zealots

Old 09-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #38
-TH-
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhavoc View Post
I use AVG, and I didnt get any trojan notice... hmmm.
It looks like its in a pop-up. Yours probably blocks the pop up better than mine therefore no virus warning. Anyhoo...

Old 09-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #39
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1067 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If you're open to suggestions, how about listing common city/style target profiles in another worksheet in the file?

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 09-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #40
-TH-
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
If you're open to suggestions, how about listing common city/style target profiles in another worksheet in the file?
Done deal.

Quick Reply