The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Evidence (via studies) behind step mashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 03:45 AM   #51
ryno1ryno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

In other words, I was not looking for 'confirmation bias'... which is something you see quite often on message boards.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

You all grain guys seem to stick together

All jokes aside... lighten up a little.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 05:18 AM   #52
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 835 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
I put a little happy face after the comment about that just so no one would get offended.

Yet, there was still a percentage who took offense.

I chalk that up as a tiny minority of hurt feelings as this has to be the highest traffic home brew website on the interwebs. All in all, the general population of visitors on this website doesn't really care about this thread.
I wouldn't say anyone took offense (at least not at first). Take my first response for example. There are certain aspects of this hobby where most people talking about them are totally relying on opinion: secondaries, autolysis, glass v. plastic, etc. On those topics if you started a thread and said 'no opinions', I for one would actually agree with you. But on this topic, there's really no opinions involved. It's accepted science, science that transcends brewing. Enzymes are not unique to our hobby obviously. So when you state 'no opinions' on a topic like this one, its plainly obvious that you didn't do any reading before asking the question.

There's plenty of great brewin literature out there, some of which has been pointed out in this thread.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #53
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
"The scientific method is: "a method or procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of*hypotheses.

The chief characteristic which distinguishes the scientific method from other methods of acquiring knowledge is that scientists seek to let reality speak for itself, supporting a theory when a theory's predictions are confirmed and challenging a theory when its predictions prove*false.*"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

In this thread, I was not looking for an opinion initially.

I put a little happy face after the comment about that just so no one would get offended.

Yet, there was still a percentage who took offense.

I chalk that up as a tiny minority of hurt feelings as this has to be the highest traffic home brew website on the interwebs. All in all, the general population of visitors on this website doesn't really care about this thread.
You seem to consider anything other than posting a study to be the simple voicing of an opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. Perhaps you mean you're not (or weren't) interested in anecdotal evidence of what a particular mash temperature does to a mash? Even if that were the case, you could have easily just ignored any posts you deemed to be the voicing of "opinion."

Old 12-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #54
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I'm not going to try and understand the direction this thread has taken. It has become so diluted with bickering that any factual points are nearly moot. Either discuss step mashing/mash temperatures or stop typing.

ryno1ryno, you are one more rude/argumentative/off topic comment away from a ban.

People Like This 

Quick Reply