Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Evidence (via studies) behind step mashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #31
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 836 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

Kai is one of the smartest homebrewers in the world actually, forget this just this thread.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #32
ryno1ryno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

One last thing... this is a message board about beer. This is a thread in the science forum requesting scientific studies to read over. How can you have a message board and attempt to not allow questions? Isn't that a contradiction?

For those who are flaming me, the fact of the matter is that YOU are trolling me.

The science guys provided great information. They knew exactly what I meant when I said that I wasn't looking for opinions like on every other thread.

It is obvious that only the beer brewing snobs are offended. Which I find a problem with you, the snob. Now stop trolling me.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #33
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
One last thing... this is a message board about beer. This is a thread in the science forum requesting scientific studies to read over. How can you have a message board and attempt to not allow questions? Isn't that a contradiction?

For those who are flaming me, the fact of the matter is that YOU are trolling me.

The science guys provided great information. They knew exactly what I meant when I said that I wasn't looking for opinions like on every other thread.

It is obvious that only the beer brewing snobs are offended. Which I find a problem with you, the snob. Now stop trolling me.
I don't think the flames/anger was directed at your question. It seemed to be directed at the attitude that seemed evident in your post. You seemed to be showing a lack of respect for your fellow homebrewer (primarily with the "no opinions" comment...which I think could be taken as you saying that any non-study was just the persons opinion).

EDIT: Also, the way your worded the title of the thread could lead people to think you doubt the fact that temperature/steps affect the final product.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #34
MrSpiffy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Rather than state that you don't want any opinions on the thread, it might help to state that you're primarily looking for studies, charts, results, etc. that support or refute conversion at certain temperatures or that one method is better than another. It's just a more positive way to state the request, rather than the negative of "no opinions!" (semantics, I know...) There will always be some opinion thrown in here or there, but data to back it up is certainly useful. I can see your point, and obviously you're looking for a more scientific approach, rather than just what someone tells you happens. But let's not let this turn into a flamewar.

As was mentioned previously, do some searching around for information around step-mashing versus single-infusion-mashing. This should yield some good results for you. I did a little search and actually ran across a guy that tried to do a reverse step-mash. Now, that wouldn't make sense to most of us, but he wanted to know what would happen. Good on him! You never know until you try, right? (He also did some work on testing yeast pitch rates.)

Old 12-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #35
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I agree 100% that we all benefit from questioning whether "common practices" are really "best practices." We all know that there is plenty of Homebrewing Lore that has passed from one brewer to another by the force of tradition alone. It's not uncommon for these to be found unncessary, or occasionally counterproductive.

However, I don't think this thread has the right tone for this questioning. Ideally, start by doing a little homework and reading the basic texts out there. If you can't get your hands on those, I'd suggest asking in a more constructive way, not implying that you're going to get junk opinion answers.

"Hey guys, I'm curious about the scientific basis for the effect of different mash temperatures on enzyme activity. Can someone point me to a useful article or book about this?" would have come off better.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #36
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:

OK man sounds good. Hope you find what you're looking for.
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;
ryno1ryno Likes This 
Old 12-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #37
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

Quote:
You that are offended need to take the approach from this gentlemen quoted. He has proven to be the smartest guy on this thread. And I respect him more than the rest who ONLY have opinions.
Quote:

Well. I just saw these posts. I guess my point was missed- that in the 'brew science' forum, we talk about brewing science and it's a great place for discussion. But we normally go deeper than the super basic science principles. We have a Beginner's Forum for simple and basic questions.

In any case, I'm glad you found what you were looking for. I will refrain from offering further advice to you, as my "opinions" are not worthy.
People Like This 
Old 12-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #38
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Quote:
First part yes. Second part... huh? I have no idea what isothermal mash is

Essentially... how important is steeping at lower temps and then changing temps. If there is a quick and dirty answer then I'm happy. I do like the material and I believe I get it now... but it never hurts to be lazy and have someone else tell me what they think.
temperature has little impact on steeping - steeping is done to extract color and sugars

mashing is done to convert starches to sugars via enzymatic activity which rely on specific temperature ranges

you don't need to worry much about your steeping temp when you are just doing extract

although, you stated you don't want opinions but then say you want to be lazy and just hear what others have to think...

people are happy to help here, happy to share our experiences and some posters have done significant scientific research but no one is here to hold your hand because you are too lazy to do some basic reading on your own

Old 12-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #39
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 914 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The way to ask technical questions is to precede with a short explanation of the basis for the question and a quick summary of your current understanding. For example, you might say something like,

"I've read XYZ books and noticed a trend in HBT post that suggest X, but no matter how many different rest temperatures I try, I get the same attenuation. This has me questioning the relevance of temperature in fermentability of wort. Can anyone provide me with some more in-depth studies or help me figure this out in some other way?"

I'm not telling you what to do but merely suggesting that you can word things in a less accusatory manner and establish the context of the question. Sometimes novices think they know what they don't know, but often times they know just enough to get in trouble. You have to be able to digest "how to brew" before you can actually handle the peer reviewed papers.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?
drkaeppel Likes This 
Old 12-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #40
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

There is a got damn smilely face immediately after the no opinions comment.

Get a grip people.

Quick Reply