Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Brew Science (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/)
-   -   Evidence (via studies) behind step mashing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/evidence-via-studies-behind-step-mashing-372306/)

ryno1ryno 12-06-2012 11:35 AM

Evidence (via studies) behind step mashing
 
All Grain mashing requires the varying temperature schedules? I want to know if there is actual scientific evidence available that proves that different water temps actually do cause the sugars and enzymes to behave and coagulate differently.

In this thread... opinions don't count. :-)

HollisBT 12-06-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryno1ryno
All Grain mashing requires the varying temperature schedules? I want to know if there is actual scientific evidence available that proves that different water temps actually do cause the sugars and enzymes to behave and coagulate differently.

In this thread... opinions don't count. :-)

With modern grains, they have already been modified to the point where step mashing is pretty much irrelevant and unnecessary.

Unless you are talking about the fermentability of wort, in which case temperature DOES play a much more important role...

ajdelange 12-06-2012 11:48 AM

In my opinion the best place to start would be with the bibliographies/references in some of the well known brewing texts such as B,H,S&Y.

ryno1ryno 12-06-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajdelange (Post 4654757)
In my opinion the best place to start would be with the bibliographies/references in some of the well known brewing texts such as B,H,S&Y.

Good idea. Thanks.

ryno1ryno 12-06-2012 11:59 AM

Would anyone happen to have any good links? If I find any, I will try to reproduce an excerpt and link.

Pilgarlic 12-06-2012 12:00 PM

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=zV9bpyykNtMC&oi=fnd&pg=PR17&dq= brewing+mash+temperature&ots=FhcwHgtmM5&sig=XGUTpv KHMiTqJ2-nFxuM-GkFR0M#v=onepage&q=brewing%20mash%20temperature&f= false

Pages 48 and 49.

Bobby_M 12-06-2012 12:23 PM

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Starch_Conversion

Is there any particular reason that you're suspect of the concept? Do a very simple controlled experiment yourself by mashing some 2 row at 148 and then 158, ferment with equal yeast at typical pitching rates. Measure final gravity.

Pilgarlic 12-06-2012 02:34 PM

Although it's unlikely that a very experienced grain brewer would doubt the effects of mash temps, I applaud the O.P.'s question. Homebrewing is a maelstrom of contradictory, self-perpetuating dictums and dogma that endlessly ping around the echo-chamber, more deeply entrenching themselves with each repetition. When in doubt for any reason, seek the science.

ryno1ryno 12-06-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilgarlic (Post 4655179)
Although it's unlikely that a very experienced grain brewer would doubt the effects of mash temps, I applaud the O.P.'s question. Homebrewing is a maelstrom of contradictory, self-perpetuating dictums and dogma that endlessly ping around the echo-chamber, more deeply entrenching themselves with each repetition. When in doubt for any reason, seek the science.

Thank you! I couldn't have said it better!!!

This IS the science thread... I see the topic at hand to be well within reason.

ryno1ryno 12-06-2012 04:24 PM

Thanks.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:48 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.