Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > The effects of cold crashing on priming sugar needs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #51
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_saturn_ascends View Post

One myth to dispell:
The shrinking headspace myth. This is thermal phenomena only! even if the beer absorbs Co2 it is still going to stay the same size. The Co2 is not going to magically dissapear into the beer and there will be less space. It is still in the carboy and takes up the same amount of space weather it is sitting on the beer or in the beer. What you are witnessing is the shrinkage of the molecules. That occurs simply because the temperature is lower.
So how can I get 2.5 volumes of Co2 into beer if it doesn't take up less space when it is absorbed? Also it's not the shrinkage of molecules, it is simply that they have less energy so occupy a smaller space.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 08:23 PM   #52
as_saturn_ascends
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
So how can I get 2.5 volumes of Co2 into beer if it doesn't take up less space when it is absorbed? Also it's not the shrinkage of molecules, it is simply that they have less energy so occupy a smaller space.
how much space it takes up has nothing to do with how many volumes of Co2 you can fit inside of it. I can fit more rocks inside my carboy and the level keeps rising. Although, I am sure it is somewhat relative. (Co2 volume and beer volume)

I never thought of the lesser energy thing. Good post man! Very Interesting. After reading this I am beginning to wonder if JLem is onto something.............. there may just be enough Co2 in the headspace to be absorbed over a long period of time.........

man what good conversation this thread has generated

Old 02-20-2010, 02:06 AM   #53
as_saturn_ascends
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_saturn_ascends View Post
I just bottled up a test batch of ale that we can test this out on.
According to the priming calculator located at: http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html I should have 2.7 volumes of Co2 by adding 4.9oz. corn sugar using the fermentation temperature as a variable; 68F was my exact fermentation temp. I don't believe the beer was ever over 68F. However, if we take into account the temperature at which I bottled my brew,40F, and use that to calculate adding 4.9oz. of corn sugar the calculator gives me the figure of 3.3 volumes of Co2.

Now that is a VAST difference! 2.7 for ferm temps and 3.3 for bottling temp.

Either way, I added 4.9oz. of corn sugar and I will be able to tell the difference between 2.7 and 3.3 volumes of Co2.

I will post the results here in a month or so when I crack it open!
OK! Results are in..................... 2.7 volumes of co2 without a doubt. Its just about the right carbonation for this style of beer. Just wanted to let you all know the results of my little test for what its worth.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #54
cjalderman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So for clarification, say I need to ramp up the temp of the beer I'm fermenting to the upper 80s during primary, then I let that fall back down to room temp AFTER fermentation is complete. Should I use the max. fermentation temp or the room temp of the beer?

Old 06-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #55
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjalderman
So for clarification, say I need to ramp up the temp of the beer I'm fermenting to the upper 80s during primary, then I let that fall back down to room temp AFTER fermentation is complete. Should I use the max. fermentation temp or the room temp of the beer?
I would use the max temp. As the beer warms up, it is not able to hold as much co2, so the co2 offgasses. This leaves less co2 in the beer, which isn't going back in anytime soon after you return it to room temp. Since the beer now has less co2 in it you need to add more sugar for the yeast to ferment to reach your target carbonation level.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #56
cjalderman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Awesome, thanks for the reply!

Quick Reply