Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Dry hop question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
badhabit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Default Dry hop question

I am dry hopping in a 5 G carboy with very little head space and keep getting lots of C02????? production, enough that I have gone back to a blow off tube. I have noted that the hops cause foam in a dry hop at any time but was just wondering what whart happening.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Don't transfer the beer to a secondary next time, dryhop in the primary. Your primary has more head space. Been dry hopping in the primary for a year now and have never looked back. It's easier and it introduces less O2.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
pkeeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I doubt the hops are causing fermentation. It could be the lack of headspace is causing CO2 to dissolve into solution. Then small temp. fluctuations could release the CO2.

The other possibility is you transferred before fermentation was completed, and the yeast found some reason to start partying again.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
LazyPBar
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i dont want to steal your thread but i have a dry hop question as well. figured this would be the place to post it. i just brewed an IPA and instead of using the hops that came with the kit i used my home grown hops (no idea what kind) and after tasting a bit when i took my SG reading it has no hop flavor or aroma. so when i check for FG the next time i will taste it again and if it is still the case i was thinking of throwing in the original hops that came with the kit and dry hopping for a week. good idea?

Montivagus Brewing Co.

Est. 2009

Old 04-27-2010, 12:07 AM   #5
Joe Camel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Your fermented beer is saturated with Carbon Dioxide gas, even though it tastes flat. The pellet hops you added caused the gas to come out of solution violently (read: nucleation sites, mentos in diet coke). If you're going to dry hop, put the pellets in the secondary and rack onto them.

Cheers,

Joe

Turn up the good, turn down the suck!
-Deaner

Old 04-27-2010, 05:32 AM   #6
ZenBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Camel View Post
Your fermented beer is saturated with Carbon Dioxide gas, even though it tastes flat. The pellet hops you added caused the gas to come out of solution violently (read: nucleation sites, mentos in diet coke). If you're going to dry hop, put the pellets in the secondary and rack onto them.
+1 agree with the nucleation of the CO2 from the hops.

-ZB

Gallons Brewed in 2012: 76

Old 04-28-2010, 01:14 AM   #7
badhabit
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

I have been adding the hops the day after transfer to secondary but the idea to do it at the time of transfer makes lots of sense. Thanks for the information as to why and the suggestion.

Quick Reply