Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > The different yeast species (not strains) used in alcohol production

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
ohad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default The different yeast species (not strains) used in alcohol production

Hi all,

I was wondering what are the different yeast species used and what are their different traits.

I know the common ale yeast is S . Cerevisiae , and I think the lager one is S. pastorianus. and then there is Brett, too.

What about S. Bayanus ?
and generally how strict are the uses of these species for their ale - lager classification ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Technically, weizen yeast is Torulaspora delbrueckii. Learned that yesterday!

Old 06-27-2010, 01:16 AM   #3
JohnMc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Kluveromyces lactis makes some kind of fermented milk
Schizosaccharomyces pombe is used for rum
Zygosaccharomyces fermentati has been tossed around for wine, though it isn't used commercially, IIRC

Old 06-27-2010, 05:21 AM   #4
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohad View Post
Hi all,

I was wondering what are the different yeast species used and what are their different traits.

I know the common ale yeast is S . Cerevisiae , and I think the lager one is S. pastorianus. and then there is Brett, too.

What about S. Bayanus ?
and generally how strict are the uses of these species for their ale - lager classification ?
Brettanomyces (Brett) is a genus. There are several different species used in brewing-Brett bruxellensis, B. Lambicus, B. Clausenii, and B. Anomalus are the most common.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 06-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
JohnMc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
The problem with answering that is work done by lab folks back in the day confuses it. The type strain used for lab work and the granddaddy of most all of them is S288c and it's a cross of Fleischmann's bread yeast by a Carlsberg lager strain and maybe something else tossed in there*, then sporulated (its name means the C pick from Spore 288). This was considered the "type" for Saccharomyces cereviseae, and it's the yeast whose DNA was sequenced in the early 1990's.
So, because the "type" was a blend, the taxonomists lumped a lot of Saccharomyces species into cereviseae.
With the recent advent of "Next Gen" DNA sequence, it's getting a LOT cheaper to sequence an entire genome, so a lot of work is going into sequencing more wild-type isolates (of a lot more than just yeast) and I suspect that we'll see re-division of the genus.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
ohad
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
The problem with answering that is work done by lab folks back in the day confuses it. The type strain used for lab work and the granddaddy of most all of them is S288c and it's a cross of Fleischmann's bread yeast by a Carlsberg lager strain and maybe something else tossed in there*, then sporulated (its name means the C pick from Spore 288). This was considered the "type" for Saccharomyces cereviseae, and it's the yeast whose DNA was sequenced in the early 1990's.
So, because the "type" was a blend, the taxonomists lumped a lot of Saccharomyces species into cereviseae.
With the recent advent of "Next Gen" DNA sequence, it's getting a LOT cheaper to sequence an entire genome, so a lot of work is going into sequencing more wild-type isolates (of a lot more than just yeast) and I suspect that we'll see re-division of the genus.
That's very interesting!
I'm a bioinformatics student, and I was looking for some beer related yeast project. I'll look into some papers on the issue of taxonomy of yeast species, and see if I can distill a research project out of this problem. Thanks!

Old 06-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
JohnMc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
I'll look into some papers on the issue of taxonomy of yeast species, and see if I can distill a research project out of this problem.
The paper that looked into the history of lab yeast was by the Lindegrens, early '90's, IIRC, I remember the pedigree chart & a couple of other things.
www.yeastgenome.org isn't a bad start.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
ohad
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yeah, thanks. I use SGD a lot for lab reports

Quick Reply