Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Diastase... wiki?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
bellebouche
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Diastase... wiki?

After a somewhat fruitless search here, there and everywhere I've drawn something of a blank on this matter.

I'm thinking from a perspective of calculating grain proportions in recipes. The relative α- / β-amylase content of proprietary malts must (I assume) vary by grain varietal, malting technique and degree of roast.

There's a good technical explanation of the °Lintner score on Wikipedia but in the real world I don't see a tremendous amount of discussion of that nor of the key thing I'm after...

I'd like an understanding of how the diastase score for assorted base malts relates to the ability for the mash to covert a specific weight of non-malted grain (barley/wheat/rye etc. etc.)

So, for every Kg of a 3 SRM/EBC Pils malt it'll convert itself and (say) 250g of unmalted wheat or 270g of corn.

Does such a thing exist anywhere?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The general rule I've always heard is you need a diastatic power of around 35-40 to convert in a reasonable amount of time. This means if the DP of your base malt is 80, it would be able to convert itself and an equal amount of a non-enzymatic grain. How that relates to the °Lintner isn't going to be direct, though, as different processes and different grains will have different effects.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I don't think that what you are looking for could exist in reality.
The diastatic power of malt is undoubtedly important in determining if the base malts can fully convert the adjuncts if you use a large amount of adjuncts, but this diastatic power will be highly dependent on various other factors, such as mash temperature, mash thickness, mash pH etc.
Although it certainly won't give you all the information you need, http://www.brewingtechniques.com/bmg/noonan.html does give you some information on this subject.
I must admit that I never brew beers with a high %age of adjuncts. (I have never exceeded 10%), but I use British pale malts to provide the diastase, and they provide less diastatic power than most other base malts. I'm sure I could theoretically use more adjuncts without any conversion problems, but that wouldn't produce the sort of beers that I like.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Quick Reply