Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Di water help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
jamesmiller982
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

If I get this lab report from ward labs will I need anything else?

W-1

Irrigation Water Quality

$19.80

Sodium
Calcium
Magnesium
Potassium
Carbonate
Bicarbonate
Chloride
Sulfate

Nitrate
Boron
Electrical Conductivity
Est. Total Dissolved Solids
Sodium Adsorption Ratio (SAR)
Adj. Sodium Adsorption Ratio (Adj. SAR)
pH
Total Hardness (Lime)
Total Alkalinity

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #12
jamesmiller982
Recipes 

Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
It is the same as ppm but not the same as 'ppm as CaCO3'. If mg/L is used in the report it very probably means mg/L as the ion (not as CaCO3).

Same story for magnesium.

What you really need to know is the alkalinity but many of the spreadsheets ask for bicarbonate instead. As long as the pH is less than 8 or so the alkalinity is simply 50*bicarbonate/61. Thus your alkalinity is about 5. This is suspiciously low given your.....
which total to 120 ppm as CaCO3 hardness. Note that the alkalinity plus sulfate plus chloride should be roughly equivalent to the total hardness. Total hardness of 120 is 120/50 = 2.4 mEq/L and the alkalinity is 6/61 ~ 0.1 mEq/L. Thus there are 2.3 meq/L chloride plus sulfate. If all chloride that would amount to about 80 mg/L and if all sulfate to a bit over 110 mg/L. In fact it could be anywhere between these limits.

Yes because there is potentially so much of it. High chloride is generally good but some beers want high sulfate (depends a lot on personal taste). You need to know which you have.

Neither of these is that important as long as they are both the MCLs for those two ions. 4 mg/L is under the MCL

Yes, but given the low level of alkalinity it doesn't matter that much. Also the high pH means the alkalinity I calculated using the simple formula will be off a bit but again, because the level is so low, this doesn't much matter.

Most here would recommend Ward Labs. You get a pretty complete rundown, from the brewers perspective, for reasonable cost.
I need a water quality for dummies cuz u threw me for a loop Maybe I won't get it. I am so much more a hands on person. Thanks for the reply I will syudy it for the next week.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #13
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 568 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Sorry about that.

You need

Calcium
Magnesium
Sodium
Chloride
Sulfate
Alkalinity (bicarbonate)
Sodium
Potassium
pH
Nitrate

Ward Labs have a test for brewers which measures all those for about $20. I'm sure someone here will chime in and tell you which one it is.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #14
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The W-6 test is what you need.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Quick Reply