The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Decoction Method Questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 03:07 AM   #11
Bassman2003
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
Decoctions are always returned to the main mash and the temp of the resulting mash should always be kept below 76 C to prevent all enzymes from denaturing. So when the final decoction is returned there will be some active enzymes to take care of any released starches. In addition to that the final decoction tends to be a thin decoction to reduce the amount of starches that are released.

If you boil your 2nd sparge and drain into the first wort w/o having heated the first wort past ~76 C you will have some enzymes to take care of the starches. A correctly performed iodine test will tell you if that was the case.

But why not just do a regular decoction?

Kai
Thanks for your follow up Kai. Makes sense now. In my 'boil the second batch' scenario, if there were enzymes in the boil kettle and I did boil the second batch, would just having the two (enzymes & starches) together in the boil kettle be enough? Would they need time before the boil was started to work properly?

I am asking about this different method because I see it as an easier way to get some decoction flavors in a "normal" brew day. This is only if it would work but bringing your second batch up to a boil before draining is pretty simple to do compared to a true decoction.

So does this sound like it would work? Or at least worth trying?

Thanks for reply as well Hermit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 517 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Yes, in a triple decoction most of the mash will wind up in the decoction vessel (though not 100% as the third decoction is thin i.e. just or mostly liquid). But, to quote deClerck as best I can remember "One of the criticisms leveled against decoction mashing is that it is too intensive."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply