Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Debittered Black Malt in EZ Water
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
yso191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Yakima, WA
Posts: 72
Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Debittered Black Malt in EZ Water

Hi,

I am getting ready to brew a Baltic Porter. I use EZ Water 3.0 for water additions. I use 100% RO water if that matters.

The recipe calls for Debittered Black Malt. I am assuming that this means it will not add acidity to the mash, or at least a lot less. So how do I enter this in EZ Water? Or under what category should I add it?

Thanks, Steve

__________________
yso191 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
DSmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 787
Liked 62 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

My vote is for either "Roasted/Toasted Malt" or omit it if it's a very small quantity. It may affect your pH by 0.01 if it's about 1% of your grain bill. Did a Munich Dunkel with a similar malt, the 1% Carafa Special II had almost no measureable affect on the mash pH. I even measured the mash pH without it to understand the 12L Munich malt pH that made up the other 99% of the grainbill.

__________________
DSmith is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Kaiser's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pepperell, MA
Posts: 3,904
Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

debittered malt may not give you as much roast flavor, but its acid contribution is still the same a non-debittered malt.

Kai

Kaiser is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
DSmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 787
Liked 62 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
debittered malt may not give you as much roast flavor, but its acid contribution is still the same a non-debittered malt.

Kai
Totally agree. The Dunkel I was referring to is Kai's recipe on his webpage, with decoction mashout. Nothing roasty about it.

munich-dunkel-color.jpg
__________________
DSmith is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
yso191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Yakima, WA
Posts: 72
Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
debittered malt may not give you as much roast flavor, but its acid contribution is still the same a non-debittered malt.

Kai
Thank you both. That answers my question!

Steve
__________________
yso191 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with Debittered Black Patent Malt maltoftheearth Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 07-28-2012 02:04 PM
What to do with all this debittered black malt? And other grain. booherbg General Beer Discussion 5 01-27-2012 05:38 PM
Using intense bitter black malt instead of "debittered" ok? MountainGoatBrewing Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 11-26-2011 12:56 AM
Chocolate Wheat malt vs. DEbittered Black Malt. Schnitzengiggle Recipes/Ingredients 6 07-28-2010 07:06 AM
Debittered black malt alternative? bigfloppybunny Recipes/Ingredients 6 09-30-2009 07:42 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS