Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Cold Crashing out Yeast - Dr. Charles Bamforth (Brew Strong Podcast)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
Doc Robinson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cold Crashing out Yeast - Dr. Charles Bamforth (Brew Strong Podcast)

Did anyone catch the Brew Strong podcast on beer haze with Dr. Charles Bamforth of the UC Davis Brewing Science Program?

He was saying that it is the temperature, not the time, of cold crashing that determines the effectiveness. I am cold crashing my beers around 36 degrees, but I am still getting a strong yeast profile in my beers where I use a low flocculating yeast.

Dr. Bamforth was saying that cold crashing should be done at or slightly below freezing (32F / 0C)...further, he said that 1 day at 32F is more effective than 3 weeks at 36F.

I am going to give it a shot. At what point will beer freeze? With the alcohol content, I am assuming that I would be safe at 30F for 2 days.

Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 12:08 AM   #2
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

10% volume of ethanol in a water-alcohol mix, the water will freeze out at = -4° C, 25° F.
Beer 5% , ~28° F
As ice begins to freeze out the impurities, the freezing point drops further. this doesn't continue indefinitely.
http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/...11&postcount=5

Old 01-30-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
Doc Robinson
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
10% volume of ethanol in a water-alcohol mix, the water will freeze out at = -4° C, 25° F.
Beer 5% , ~28° F
As ice begins to freeze out the impurities, the freezing point drops further. this doesn't continue indefinitely.
http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/...11&postcount=5
I saw that too, but I'm not putting my faith in ClaudiusB without consulting HBT first.

Quick Reply