New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Chloride does not seem THST important.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Chloride does not seem THAT important??

Now that I'm typing on a REAL keyboard I can correct spelling LOL

Just looking at famous water profiles it seems that concentrations of Cl are topping off around 60ppm. So can I assume that concentrations in the 100s is not that wonderful?

Palmer says >250 is bad. If I added 1 gram per gallon I would be in the 140 range which seems safe enough for fullness. Is fullness = mouthfeel?

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Of the historic profiles that I've researched and included in Bru'n Water, only 1 or 2 have chloride concentrations greater than 100 ppm. One of those is Dortmund and its reknowned for providing Dortmund Export a minerally flavor perception. Based on that finding, I suggest that most brewers would be wise to try and keep their chloride level under 100 ppm in most cases. The suggestion that Palmer makes that 250 ppm chloride is OK in any beer is folly. There is no way that a beer (excepting a Gose) is going to turn out well with that level of chloride. He needs to prove to me that it is OK. I don't think so.

Grinder, if you are OK with having some minerally flavor in a particular beer, then its OK to have 140 ppm. If you want the water to be in the background, then you might want to tone that level down a bit.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply