Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Chloramine boils off in 5- 20 minutes according to my water company

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #31
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 629 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 19

The Scottish Centre's comment about following GAC by ion exchange is interesting. At pH 9 72% of the ammonia appears as ammonium ion (NH4+), at pH 8 that's 96% and at pH 7 and below more than 99.6%. In the brewing context ammonium is a benefit as it is a yeast nutrient. Most of the yeast supplements one buys contain diammonium phosphate for this reason. If you are using the water for dialysis or fish that ammonium probably isn't so great though most aquaria are equipped with ammonium removing filters as fish poop contains a fair amount of it (urea). Ammonium ion is produced when Campden tablets are used too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #32
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I am sorry that so many users on forums like this hide behind anonymous avatars and then disparage the advice of people that have enough confidence in their advice to actually sign their name with it. I strongly recommend that anyone using any forum take any advice with a grain of salt if the poster isn't willing to stake their name and reputation behind it. I fully trust the advice that AJ deLange provides (but I don't always agree with it! ;-) ).

An important point for this thread is that boiling to remove chloramines is not very suitable as a treatment option given the slow progress and energy usage. It pales in comparison with the relatively simplistic treatment via metabisulfite addition (Campden tablet).

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

pabloj13 Likes This 
Old 09-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #33
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 48

iambeer got me thinking.

Based on reading AJs paper, maybe to save the 1.5 cents for half a Campden tablet, one could instead store 15 gallons of water in an open topped barrel for a month or two, stirring twice a day. After 60 days of moderate agitation, hopefully a fair amount of the chloramine will be gone.

If you store it outdoors, mosquitos will lay their eggs in it. So store it indoors and just carry the 10 gallons outside when ready to use it. If 60 days isn't enough, try 90-120 days.

At least you save the 1.5 cents for half a Campden tablet.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #34
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4774 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 948

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer View Post
I was very clear that I was only suggesting that there are many sources (more recent, authoritative sources) that claim chloramine can be removed in minutes. But look at these responses. It's as if I shot their mommas! Hilarious.
It's not hilarious at all. You make disparaging remarks about noted brewing water chemistry experts, and say things that aren't true. You just look like a total ass, with a penchant for trolling. If people are laughing, they are laughing AT you, not with you.

Water chemistry is an important part of brewing, but like so many things in brewing, if the brewer is happy with the results of his attempts then the area of water chemistry is ignored. That doesn't make it unimportant as a topic, it's just unimportant to the brewer. There are plenty of brewers who brew "good enough" beer.

Discussing appropriate chloramine removal techniques for those who want to do it is important, so espousing senseless made-up "facts" will be challenged.
People Like This 
Old 09-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #35
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer View Post
I was very clear that I was only suggesting that there are many sources (more recent, authoritative sources) that claim chloramine can be removed in minutes. But look at these responses. It's as if I shot their mommas! Hilarious.
Go buy a chloramine test kit. Do your method. Test. Post results.

If you want to be taken seriously, take your science seriously.

Until then, the standard treatment for chloramine is Campden tabs.
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 09-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #36
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

For what it's worth, I use vitamin C to treat my water instead of campden tablets. I purchased a big bottle of powdered vitamin C (probably a lifetime supply) for a couple bucks online.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #37
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
For what it's worth, I use vitamin C to treat my water instead of campden tablets. I purchased a big bottle of powdered vitamin C (probably a lifetime supply) for a couple bucks online.
How much do you use? I have some of this from Puritan's pride but wasn't sure on the dosage.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #38
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCOLA View Post
How much do you use? I have some of this from Puritan's pride but wasn't sure on the dosage.
16mg per gallon of water for typical water treatment concentrations. The half-life for the reaction is about 4 minutes, so what I do is add the vitamin c as I start filling up the pot and heating it for dough-in. By the time I get to my strike temp it's usually been long enough for the reaction to have removed the bulk of the chlorine/chloramine.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #39
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6251 Times on 5425 Posts
Likes Given: 803

Thanks Martin and AJ (and others) for continuing to help us understand water issues relating to homebrewing. It's making my beer better, it's not as hard as it initially sounds (thanks to your explainations and calculators), it's cheap, it works, and it is science not voodoo.

Cheers.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #40
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
16mg per gallon of water for typical water treatment concentrations.
Is that correct? That's .08 gram per 5 gallons. That is a tiny amount.

Quick Reply