Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Chemicals and Brewing
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 05:57 AM   #1
Elut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Suwon, South Korea
Posts: 19
Default Chemicals and Brewing

Hi Everyone !

Lately, our homebrewing community of Foreign homebrewers established in Korea decided to begin to treat our brewing water. As with everything related to Homebrewing in Korea, it's absolutely difficult to source products locally.

So, we finally found the products we need, but we are wondering the following:

1- Is that thing Di-ammonium Phosphate?
I never was a good student in chemistry classes in my youth, but I remember reading somewhere that "Ammonium Phosphate, Dibasic" and "Di-ammonium Phosphate" are the same thing.

The industrial aspect of it raises the following question: Can we use it, as it is, as a yeast nutritient (DAP) ? Don't we need to "cut" it with something? Is it food grade?

2- Also, if we find CaCO3, CaSO4, and/or other compounds conditioned as chemistry supplies in their row powder form, can we use them as brewing salts/water profiles adjustments without any risk?

Thanks in advance for the help !

__________________
On-going experiment: [Black Eisbock (35% ABV)- Fermenting]
On Tap: [Dusseldörf Altbier]

Elut is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Kaiser's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pepperell, MA
Posts: 3,904
Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elut View Post
1- Is that thing Di-ammonium Phosphate?
I never was a good student in chemistry classes in my youth, but I remember reading somewhere that "Ammonium Phosphate, Dibasic" and "Di-ammonium Phosphate" are the same thing.
Wikipedia to the rescue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diammonium_phosphate

According to them, it is also known as ammonium monohydrogen phosphate or ammonium phosphate dibasic.

Quote:
The industrial aspect of it raises the following question: Can we use it, as it is, as a yeast nutritient (DAP) ? Don't we need to "cut" it with something? Is it food grade?
I can't answer this. But for beer you don't need yeast nutrients anyway. At least most of the time.

Quote:
2- Also, if we find CaCO3, CaSO4, and/or other compounds conditioned as chemistry supplies in their row powder form, can we use them as brewing salts/water profiles adjustments without any risk?
I don't know. But scientific supplies tend to be fairly pure.

Kai
Kaiser is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Homer Bucket Leaching Chemicals njnear76 Equipment/Sanitation 54 02-08-2010 07:38 PM
Adding chemicals to water sdbrew1024 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 02-15-2009 04:46 AM
Stainless Tanks from Chemicals Meister Rivington Equipment/Sanitation 4 03-24-2008 11:58 PM
Cleaning chemicals roryspa Bottling/Kegging 2 03-23-2007 12:36 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS