Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Brew Science (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/)
-   -   Chemicals and Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/chemicals-brewing-140181/)

Elut 10-06-2009 04:57 AM

Chemicals and Brewing
 
Hi Everyone !

Lately, our homebrewing community of Foreign homebrewers established in Korea decided to begin to treat our brewing water. As with everything related to Homebrewing in Korea, it's absolutely difficult to source products locally.

So, we finally found the products we need, but we are wondering the following:

1- Is that thing Di-ammonium Phosphate?
I never was a good student in chemistry classes in my youth, but I remember reading somewhere that "Ammonium Phosphate, Dibasic" and "Di-ammonium Phosphate" are the same thing.

The industrial aspect of it raises the following question: Can we use it, as it is, as a yeast nutritient (DAP) ? Don't we need to "cut" it with something? Is it food grade?

2- Also, if we find CaCO3, CaSO4, and/or other compounds conditioned as chemistry supplies in their row powder form, can we use them as brewing salts/water profiles adjustments without any risk?

Thanks in advance for the help !

Kaiser 10-06-2009 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elut (Post 1591222)
1- Is that thing Di-ammonium Phosphate?
I never was a good student in chemistry classes in my youth, but I remember reading somewhere that "Ammonium Phosphate, Dibasic" and "Di-ammonium Phosphate" are the same thing.

Wikipedia to the rescue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diammonium_phosphate

According to them, it is also known as ammonium monohydrogen phosphate or ammonium phosphate dibasic.

Quote:

The industrial aspect of it raises the following question: Can we use it, as it is, as a yeast nutritient (DAP) ? Don't we need to "cut" it with something? Is it food grade?
I can't answer this. But for beer you don't need yeast nutrients anyway. At least most of the time.

Quote:

2- Also, if we find CaCO3, CaSO4, and/or other compounds conditioned as chemistry supplies in their row powder form, can we use them as brewing salts/water profiles adjustments without any risk?
I don't know. But scientific supplies tend to be fairly pure.

Kai


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:39 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.