The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Canned & hopped syrup extract enzymes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #11
brian_g
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andri View Post
I'm wondering if the canned extract has any enzymes in it, I live in Iceland and the shop here doesn't carry anything for beer-making except canned stuff.
I'm just wondering because the canned extracts require sugar... if I could somehow use the syrup to convert oatmeal starches to sugar.

I'm not sure what your trying to do or how new to brewing you are. Malt extract doesn't require adding sugar to the batch. You can use a can of hopped malt extract and a can of unhopped malt extract. The extract in the cans has already converted the starch from the grains into sugar. They then concentrate it so you can add water. The only reason you need active enzymes is if your going to be using grains and mashing. But since you said your home brew store only has canned extract, I'm assuming your not going to be mashing.

I hope this helps and I'm not just stating the obvious. It's sometimes difficult to tell how much experience / knowledge a person has based on a question alone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #12
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Extract isn't boiled in a pot, it's boiled under pressure, so I'm not sure what temperature it actually gets to, but it isn't 200+
Actually it's a vacuum...which technically is still 'pressure'...it's just negative pressure. Increased pressure increases the boiling point...negative pressure (or decreased positive pressure...like at high altitudes) decreases the boiling point. With enough vacuum you can boil water at room temp (but as you pull more vacuum...pulling 'even more vacuum' becomes exponentially more difficult).

EDIT:
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Last edited by SpanishCastleAle; 03-19-2009 at 07:08 PM.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:43 AM   #13
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

I would order the amylase. It's relatively cheap. I have seen diastatic malt n Canada made by Canadian Malting, but I've only seen it in 50 gallon drums.

Diastatic Malt Extract is basically malt extract with amylase added to it.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Quick Reply