Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Can someone check my calculations for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #21
Bowtiebrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys... I will do this... Maida... I will brew it first your way and then I will brew a second batch same everything except AJ's way...

I am going to take the exact numbers you had and plug them into the EZ water spreadsheet and see if it comes out the same... I'm a batch sparge brewer... but I'm sure that it will work just fine... I currently only have one March pump as I run a single tier electric setup.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #22
Bowtiebrewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I can brew both of them on the same day I will but its doubtful... I always have a ridiculous schedule

But I think that maybe for this to be an accurate test... I should brew them on the same day... that way there are no outside variables to influence perceptions on taste, color, clarity, or mouth feel...

This might just be my Saturday lol...

Old 10-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #23
Bowtiebrewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

update... Well today was the brewday from Hell... I should tell you that I unfortunately had quite a problem with my mash... Somehow my falsebottom lifted and I had to drain the entire tun... As i went to go force the remaining grains through my pump and HERMS coil with a little compressed air... I had a line explode basically sending 153*f grains and liquor everywhere includeing my laptop...

Besides that, I had hit my efficiencies dead on (remarkable considering the loss) 75% BHE coming in with a final volume of 5.5 gallons of wort collected at 1.082 OG... Pitched at 64*f...

I am officially tired... my brew day started at 10am... It is now 6pm after cleanup...

I could not brew the second batch today I used AJ's water additions... so unfortunately this is not going to be a fair test... I'll have to do the with another batch to see which works... So I think my next brew will be 10-12 gallons of Kolsch

Old 10-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #24
Bowtiebrewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Update 5 days later...

Fermentation has slowed and did my first gravity reading. from 1.082 to 1.018... Two packets of US-05 were pitched with aeration for 30 minutes from a HEPA air pump.

Tasted the beer very very good so far. I didnt taste a lot as I have not been feeling all that well due to Lyme Disease and getting over Pneumonia, but still my taste buds are working well enough to detect a pretty good beer...

I'm going to warm this beer up for the next 4-7 days and then once it is completely settled I will be transfering to my secondary.

Quick Reply