Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Campden Tablets (Sulfites) and Brewing Water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #31
dave8274
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln View Post
Chlorine can be dissipated by just letting it sit in an open bucket for 24 hours.
Ok, thanks. So I still need to get my water together ahead of time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #32
gwaugh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Chlorine will off gas rather quickly (overnight) whereas Chloramine takes much longer. It is being used by a lot of municipalities because of this. It is faster to use Campden to remove it. The reaction takes only a few minutes if you crush them. I prefer the potassium based rather than the sodium which I've read can cause other off flavors although I don't know in what concentrations. I usually add 1/2 tablet crushed to 10 gallons of water I've already passed through my carbon filter.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #33
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwaugh View Post
Chlorine will off gas rather quickly (overnight) whereas Chloramine takes much longer. It is being used by a lot of municipalities because of this. It is faster to use Campden to remove it. The reaction takes only a few minutes if you crush them. I prefer the potassium based rather than the sodium which I've read can cause other off flavors although I don't know in what concentrations. I usually add 1/2 tablet crushed to 10 gallons of water I've already passed through my carbon filter.
Totally off gassing Clorine takes a lot longer than 24 hours, particularly in a deep bucket. If it were that fast, pools would be devoid of (unstabilized) chlorine overnight.

So use 1/4 crushed campden per 5 gallons, and stir it in well. I use potassium metabisulphite powder, but it is hard to measure such small quantities, like 1/40 of a teaspoon.
Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Flanders
On tap: 2.3'd | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 10-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #34
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 19

The typical swimming pool contains chloramine if it is used by kids with the nitrogen thoughtfully provided by them. It's pretty well known that if you approach a swimming pool and detect a strong chlorine odor it means that kids have been in it.

Carbon filters remove chlorine and chloramine though they won't do so completely if the flow rate doesn't allow sufficient contact time.

Campden tablets always work - for either form. The amounts of sodium and/or potassium introduced by the use of them is not enough to worry about. See the table in the original post.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #35
And1129
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I bought 10 lbs of Potassium Metabisulfite years ago, and at the time I was using it as a primary sanitizer for wines I was making. A solution of about 80g/gallon makes a potent food grade sanitizer, and it's a convenient sanitizer to use because it's actually the free SO2 gas produced by the sulfite that does the sanitizing work rather than the liquid, so everything in contact with the headspace of a container gets sanitized without even splashing or direct liquid contact. These days I mostly use starsan for beer, but I always keep some K-met solution around for sanitizing little parts or for storing carboys and fermenters in a sanitized state. It's also a good mold-mildew killer. When I brew I simply take a few mL of my stock K-met sanitizing solution and throw it into my brewing water. I've never had any issue with chlorine compounds, and I still occasionally use K-met solution as a primary sanitizer. It seems to work great for everything and I have so dam much of it.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:37 AM   #36
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRage View Post
How long does the effect from the campden remain active in water? For example, if I dissolve half a campden tablet in a glass and then add a tiny amount from that glass to my starter to dissolve its chloramine, can I leave the rest of the water in the glass over night and then add it to my mash and sparge water when I brew the next day (or days) and still achieve the same effect? Or does the campden have to be used immediately after introducing it to the glass? Will campden-treated water get rid of cloramine from new water that I add in?

Thanks
I too am curious about this. Is there any residual effect of the campden tablets to counteract new water additions of untreated water? Or is it a one shot deal?

Old 12-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #37
PRE66_6TART
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I want make sure I understand correctly. Is there any reason not to use campden tablets? For example, if I have free chlorine in my water, is it better to boil or let it off-gas overnight? Unless there's a reason not to, it seems like it might be easier to just throw a campden tab in it while heating up my water and call it good.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #38
mchrispen
accidentalis.com

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Honestly, Campden is insurance against any chlorine and chloramine getting into the the mash. Even if you let the water rest over night, use Campden. It's cheap and easy. Make sure to dissolve the crushed tablet and stir very well. Takes just a few minutes, and while heating, the sulfur smell should gas off - maybe helped by additional stirring along the way.

If you want to follow German purity laws, then a hard boil is really the best bet and may help with alkalinity in the mash. I was never able to get all of the chlorine out of my tap water with a 24-48 hour rest.

Quote:
I too am curious about this. Is there any residual effect of the campden tablets to counteract new water additions of untreated water? Or is it a one shot deal?
As the reaction occurs quickly, assume you need to treat any secondary additions.

Quote:
I want make sure I understand correctly. Is there any reason not to use campden tablets? For example, if I have free chlorine in my water, is it better to boil or let it off-gas overnight? Unless there's a reason not to, it seems like it might be easier to just throw a campden tab in it while heating up my water and call it good.
Campden should address your concerns and simplify the process, however, as mentioned, a secondary benefit of pre-boiling water is the reduction of alkalinity when done properly. You will likely precipitate chalk if your water is saturated with bicarbonate. The roiling of the boil should force chlorine out of solution and break down chloramines, however it may not be worth the effort or fuel expense.

The sodium contribution of 1/2 or 1/4 tablet of Campden is minimal.
Bru'n Water Walkthrough

Old 12-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #39
mabrungard
Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Campden tablet use is cheap insurance and the consequence of using too much is virtually non-existent. The recommended dosage of 1 tablet per 20 gallons of tap water leaves you with very little residue. In addition, the residue is composed of simple ionic components that are not hazardous or detrimental to beer or its flavor.

It's OK

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 12-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #40
PJM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Great info guys. I used to use campden and then stopped after making a carbon filtering system about 3 batches ago thinking that the filter would remove chlorimine. Looks like it makes sense to throw a campden tablet in the hlt just to be safe.

Quick Reply