Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Campden Tablets (Sulfites) and Brewing Water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #21
NegativeChirality
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'm curious if this could have a positive effect on a beer that's already been brewed? I have about 4 gallons of a Belgian Quad in a keg, and I get a distinct chlorinated-tasting solvent taste from it.

Could I just pop open the keg and stir a very, very amount of potassium metabisulfite into the Quad? What effect would this have on an already brewed beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #22
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 634 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Probably not but try it in the glass first. Bisulfite appears to offer promise as it has the potential to reduce nasty things like acetaldehyde and diacetyl in finished beer to less bothersome compounds but it also forms adducts some of which seem to taste almost as bad as the things you are trying to deal with.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #23
NegativeChirality
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
Probably not but try it in the glass first. Bisulfite appears to offer promise as it has the potential to reduce nasty things like acetaldehyde and diacetyl in finished beer to less bothersome compounds but it also forms adducts some of which seem to taste almost as bad as the things you are trying to deal with.
Pretty much exactly what happened. The chloropenol harshness was moderately muted but at the expense of a harsh chalkiness. [I stirred as small of a pinch I could get into a single glass, which is probably too much]. I couldn't decide if it was an improvement or not. Probably not.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #24
kenstogie
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

How long do the Campden tablets last??? I have a bottle in the fridge for 2 years or soo and though I don't mind getting more.... if I don't have to, why bother with the trip to the LHBS?

I notice on my bottle (LD carlson) there is no "born on" or "use by" date

Old 03-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #25
ajdelange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 634 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 19

The fact that they smell of sulfur dioxide says there is some decomposition taking place but as so little is needed to treat most water I don't think you need to worry with tabs that are 2 yrs old.

But I can't really answer your question. Ten years?

Old 08-17-2013, 03:20 AM   #26
Sithdad
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Since I have switched to AG I have been getting a strong plastic smell and taste to my beer. I have switched tubing, gone over my mash tun and made sure it's clean and I can attest that it is. I have, on 2 occasions now, used RO water to build my own brewing water. Low and behold no more plastic taste/smell! I've tried using a campden tablet in my tap water without success, however, I was adding it to the wort just as I was bringing it to a boil. Should I be adding it to my mash/sparge water instead?

I don't mind building my own water it's just that I typically brew on a whim and picking up RO water would require pre-planning (which is my wife's department).

Thanks for your time.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:25 AM   #27
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithdad View Post
Since I have switched to AG I have been getting a strong plastic smell and taste to my beer. I have switched tubing, gone over my mash tun and made sure it's clean and I can attest that it is. I have, on 2 occasions now, used RO water to build my own brewing water. Low and behold no more plastic taste/smell! I've tried using a campden tablet in my tap water without success, however, I was adding it to the wort just as I was bringing it to a boil. Should I be adding it to my mash/sparge water instead?

I don't mind building my own water it's just that I typically brew on a whim and picking up RO water would require pre-planning (which is my wife's department).

Thanks for your time.
I'm pretty sure it is a 'pre-treatment'. You want the chlorne out before it has a chance to react with anything.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #28
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 215 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Correct. I add my potassium metabisulphite to my Hot Liquor Tank as the water is heating up in order to treate all my brewing liquor (both strike and sparge water).

Kal

Old 10-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #29
dave8274
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The original post states what to do if your water has chloromine, but I'm not sure I understand what to do if like me, your water is treated with chlorine. Do you follow the same steps?

I've been using RO water with added Calcium Chloride up till now, but it takes forever to get 7 gallons of RO water from my system, so I thought I would try out my tap water on my next brew.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #30
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8274 View Post
The original post states what to do if your water has chloromine, but I'm not sure I understand what to do if like me, your water is treated with chlorine. Do you follow the same steps?

I've been using RO water with added Calcium Chloride up till now, but it takes forever to get 7 gallons of RO water from my system, so I thought I would try out my tap water on my next brew.
Chlorine can be dissipated by just letting it sit in an open bucket for 24 hours.

Quick Reply