Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Campden Tablets (Sulfites) and Brewing Water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #11
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 568 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 16

In order to better answer questions about how much metabite to use for given levels of chloramine I have appended a table to the original post.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
DeltaRage
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

How long does the effect from the campden remain active in water? For example, if I dissolve half a campden tablet in a glass and then add a tiny amount from that glass to my starter to dissolve its chloramine, can I leave the rest of the water in the glass over night and then add it to my mash and sparge water when I brew the next day (or days) and still achieve the same effect? Or does the campden have to be used immediately after introducing it to the glass? Will campden-treated water get rid of cloramine from new water that I add in?

Thanks

Old 01-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
ajdelange
Recipes 

What's the first thing you notice when you play with Campden tablets? Your answer should be "I smell sulfur dioxide." Metabisulfite is often referred to as 'solid SO2' and it is indeed SO2 which destroys chloramine. The fact that you can smell the sulfur dioxide says that at least some of it is leaving the solution. Wait long enough and presumably enough of the SO2 will have escaped to render the solution less effective than when fresh. That said, it doesn't take much to do the job so that even if you let it stand overnight there may be enough SO2 left. Remember the simple test in the Sticky. If you can't smell chlorine then you have added enough SO2. It probably would be sensible to store unused solution in a tightly capped small jar. That will reduce the amount of SO2 which can get away.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
What's the first thing you notice when you play with Campden tablets? Your answer should be "I smell sulfur dioxide." Metabisulfite is often referred to as 'solid SO2' and it is indeed SO2 which destroys chloramine. The fact that you can smell the sulfur dioxide says that at least some of it is leaving the solution. Wait long enough and presumably enough of the SO2 will have escaped to render the solution less effective than when fresh. That said, it doesn't take much to do the job so that even if you let it stand overnight there may be enough SO2 left. Remember the simple test in the Sticky. If you can't smell chlorine then you have added enough SO2. It probably would be sensible to store unused solution in a tightly capped small jar. That will reduce the amount of SO2 which can get away.
In which case storing with zero headspace would be ideal correct?

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:31 AM   #15
ajdelange
Recipes 

Yes, indeed.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:12 AM   #16
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 92

So, the way I read the original post, none of the metebisulfite remains in the water in that form, even if you have a low level of chloramines?

I know my water has chloramines, the water report tells me so, but I can't smell any. I use a half tab per 10 gallons. So I'm concerned that sulfites may remain in my beer and I know some people are sensitive to sulfites.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #17
ajdelange
Recipes 

I really don't think you need to be concerned. You are using 1/2 tablet per 10 gallons. Vintners use 1 tablet per gallon - 20 times this - and they don't dilute with sparge water or boil. If you are concerned about excess use the titration method described in the original post.

Potassium metabisulfite is 57.6 % SO2. If you added 300 mg/10 gal (300 mg/37.8L) i.e. about half a Campden tablet in 10 gal, that would be 4.57 mg SO2 per liter. After dilution with sparge water, boiling, absorbtion of oxygen, reduction of other compounds and formation of adducts with aldehydes and reduction to sulphide and CO2 scrubbing in the fermenter very little of this would make it through to the beer. Much more would be produced by other sources (sulfate in the water, sulfur containing amino acids in the malt). For untreated beer you can expect SO2 at from 1 - 16 mg/L and, in Britain, where sulfites are added to beers to stabilized them, the statutory limit is 40 mg/L.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #18
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I'm very curious about this... I already use campden to treat chloramine but is there a accepted time length. What I usually do is treat it the night befrore at 1/2 a tab per 10 gallons and it's pretty spot on. Do I really need to treat the night before or could I get away treating it 30 minutes before I start to brew ? Thanks for the advice.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 01-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #19
ajdelange
Recipes 

You could do it 30 seconds before you brew. The reaction is very fast but it does take some time for the metabite to dissolve. As people usually dose at a higher level than is really necessary (in terms of the actual chloramine level) this does not effect chloramine removal i.e. plenty dissolves to take care of the chloramine.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #20
sloanfamilydsm
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
I use potassium metabisulfite powder when I'm not using RO water. I use it at a rate of 0.025 grams/gallon. Got that dose rate from a BYO article I think. Kind of hard to measure accurately for small batches though if you don't have a scale with a resolution better than + / - 0.1 grams.
+1

I've been using .022 per gallon, but close enough.

Quick Reply