Campden Tablets Post-Mash, Sparge, & Top-Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crestline

Reaction score
Oops. I treated my tap water without campden tablets before the mash. I mixed in some during post-mash and pre-boil. I then mixed in some for sparge and top-off. It's a Black IPA with WLP041. Is it ruined? I did this yesterday and already it's happily fermenting away.

Oops. I treated my tap water without campden tablets before the mash. I mixed in some during post-mash and pre-boil. I then mixed in some for sparge and top-off. It's a Black IPA with WLP041. Is it ruined? I did this yesterday and already it's happily fermenting away.

It's too late.

Once the chlorine in the water interacts with the grain in the mash, it's too late. That's where the chorophenols are formed.

Hmm, thank you for the confirmation. I'll re-brew. It's a 3 gal batch that cost me 30 bucks

Chloramine in my tap water has ruined a number of batches of mine - totally undrinkable. However, it depends on the level. Since our water comes from flood control lakes, the level of Chloramine varies widely throughout the year. Like AJ says, I wouldn't panic until you try it. If it's high enough to cause a problem, you'll know it, believe me.

Cool, cool. I won't dump it. I will try to remember to update this thread when the time comes :) I use San Francisco tap water, by the way. This should be a good reference for others. Thanks for the replies all

My water company switched from chlorine to chloramine without notifying its customers. I had to read about in the newspaper to find out. Once I did discover that, it explained a bandaid or medicine taste in one of my brews which never really mellowed over time. It was not so harsh that the beer was undrinkable, but I could definitely taste it. My wife didn't like the beer, but couldn't explain why until I asked her if she tasted bandaid. Yep! That is exactly what she couldn't put her finger on. Since then, no problems with Campden tablets.

Cool, cool. I won't dump it. I will try to remember to update this thread when the time comes :) I use San Francisco tap water, by the way. This should be a good reference for others. Thanks for the replies all

At least in Fremont, my water has been weird this year as compared to years prior. I assume that's because of the drought, so we're tapping different water resources.

Since the drought, I had to switch soaps on my dishwasher because it wasn't cleaning as well. We switched body soaps too because our shower was getting some massive scum.

With that said, I've not brewed without campden, so I don't have much to help you other than I feel your pain! :) Keep us updated on how it came out.

One week later, took a sample and by the way WLP041 already has it down to 1.016 from 1.066 -- anyway. Immediately, big aroma of malts and hops and then as that goes away it's as if I'm looking for it... I'm looking for that chlorophenol flavor and aroma and I'm just not sure if it's there. I do know it definitely needs more time in primary. Maybe the carafa and hoppiness is hiding it well enough for me to not get it (yet)?

Back